Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Can you name a single issue President Obama has flip flopped on?

McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts now he supports them

McCain opposed drilling in ANWR now he supports it

McCain wanted Amnesty for illegal aliens now he opposes it

McCain was pro-choice now he opposes choice.

McCain criticized TV preacher Jerry Falwell as “an agent of intolerance” in 2002, but has since decided to cozy up to the man who said Americans “deserved” the 9/11 attacks. (Indeed, McCain has now hired Falwell’s debate coach.)

In 2000, McCain accused Texas businessmen Sam and Charles Wyly of being corrupt, spending “dirty money” to help finance Bush’s presidential campaign. McCain not only filed a complaint against the Wylys for allegedly violating campaign finance law, he also lashed out at them publicly. In April, McCain reached out to the Wylys for support.

McCain supported a major campaign-finance reform measure that bore his name. In June, he abandoned his own legislation.

McCain used to think that Grover Norquist was a crook and a corrupt shill for dictators. Then McCain got serious about running for president and began to reconcile with Norquist.

McCain took a firm line in opposition to torture, and then caved to White House demands.

McCain gave up on his signature policy issue, campaign-finance reform, and won’t back the same provision he sponsored just a couple of years ago.

McCain was against presidential candidates campaigning at Bob Jones University before he was for it.

McCain was anti-ethanol. Now he’s pro-ethanol.

McCain was both for and against state promotion of the Confederate flag.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/9111...

Barack Obama only agreed to discuss public campaign finance with John McCain not to accept it.

Favorite Answer

I think he was gonna wear the white shirt with the blue tie but then Michelle said no, wear the white shirt with the red tie, and he was like, OK dear.

I guess in a 22 yr career he could change his mind. Perhaps he went along with ideas then found his constituency didn't like his stance. So then he changed to represent their will. That is his job to represent his state. Perhaps he changed his mind after more details were learned about a particular subject. The unseasoned Senator Obama didn't vote enough to really know what he stood for. He was called a coward by his colleagues for never voting in the State legislature. He had no record to even run on to get to the US Senate. That's Chicago politics. But during this campaign, it is more telling. He'll say whatever he needs to say, and be whatever he needs to be. He is an illusion, a magician, a snake oil saleman. I sure hope he'll be able to find himself after this election is over. I sure wish they'd come up with a different term ..sure get tired of hearing it. I find it extremely interesting that Obama would choose "Ethics Reform" to legislate.

Lets see..

He said he did not know Ayers. Then it comes out he did. So is a lie a flip flop?

He said he would take federal funding of his campaign then flip flopped on that.

He said the issue in Georgia was an internal issue then a week later he came out saying the same thing McCain said from the start.

He supported Rev Wright until a video of him came out that was an embarrassment and Obama flipped and stopped supporting Wright.

About the only thing I can think of that Obama has been consistent in is his desire to redistribute the wealth. He started with a $250,000 figure as the cut off on new taxes, then it dropped to $200,000 in one of his own commercials then Biden dropped it to $150,000. Whatever figure he ends up with, all Americans will be effected. Those above his magic number, whatever one he finally lands on will pay more taxes and those below will get more handouts.

He said earlier this year he could raise the capital gains tax from 15% to 30%. Then he says it would be 20%. Then he says somewhere between 20% and 28%. He has no idea how to fund his spending plan, clearly.

The American Flag pin controversy. So are you patriotic for 9/11 or not?

He votes against the Iraq War, but wants to fund it?

He vows to lower taxes for 95% of the people. But as Senator, he voted to raise taxes 94% of the time. And he voted for a measure to raise taxes on incomes of 42,000 or more.

Does it qualify that he never discussed cutting taxes in the primaires (always voted for tax increases)...but in the general election....it's all he talks about?

When did Obama become a tax cutter? He has never been one before.

President Obama? Knock on wood! Turn around three times and spit!

That term is not allowed until 1/20/09. Any sooner, and you are tempting fate, my friend. When things are going our way, we don't want to start tempting fate....

yes! last weekend Senator Obama asked for a cone of strawberry ice cream, and before the countergirl even turned around, he flip flopped, now he wanted pistachio. is this the kind of man we want in the whitehouse?

yes. please vote Obama on Tuesday.

Public Financing.

Off-Shore drilling. (kinda)

I'm an Obama supporter, but.... you asked. :-P

Short list compared to McCain, though!

OBAMA 2008-2016 heres why

CHANGE #1: Despite Pledging To Withdraw American Troops From Iraq Immediately, Barack Obama Now Says He Would "Refine" His Policy After Listening To The Commanders On The Ground

In July 2008, Barack Obama Said He Will Continue To "Refine" His Iraq Policy. Obama: "I've always said that the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability. That assessment has not changed...And when I go to Iraq and have a chance to talk to some of the commanders on the ground, I'm sure I'll have more information and will continue to refine my policies." (Jeff Zeleny, "Obama: Open to 'Refine' Iraq Withdrawal Timeline," The New York Times' "The Caucus" Blog, http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com, 7/3/08)

In The Primaries, Barack Obama Committed To Withdrawing Troops From Iraq Regardless Of The Advice He Received From Commanders On The Ground. ABC's Charles Gibson: "And, Senator Obama, your campaign manager, David Plouffe, said, 'When he is' -- this is talking about you - 'When he is elected president, we will be out of Iraq in 16 months at the most. There should be no confusion about that.' So you'd give the same rock-hard pledge, that no matter what the military commanders said, you would give the order to bring them home?" Obama: "Because the commander-in-chief sets the mission, Charlie. That's not the role of the generals. ... Now, I will always listen to our commanders on the ground with respect to tactics, once I've given them a new mission, that we are going to proceed deliberately, in an orderly fashion, out of Iraq, and we are going to have our combat troops out. We will not have permanent bases there. Once I have provided that mission, if they come to me and want to adjust tactics, then I will certainly take their recommendations into consideration. But, ultimately, the buck stops with me as the commander-in-chief." (Sen. Barack Obama, Democrat Presidential Candidate Debate, Philadelphia, PA, 4/16/08)

CHANGE #2: Despite Pledging To Accept Public Financing, Barack Obama Has Reversed His Position And Opted Out Of The System

Barack Obama Has Declined Public Financing In The General Election, Calling It A "Broken System." "In a web video emailed to supporters, Obama asks his supporters to help him 'declare our independence from a broken system.' Of course, it's not so much a broken system that explains why he's passing on the FEC's $80+million. He will easily raise more than he could ever get in public funding." (Jonathan Martin, "Obama Opts Out Of Public Financing," The Politico's "Jonathan Martin" Blog, www.politico.com, 6/19/08)

In Response To A Midwest Democracy Network Questionnaire, Barack Obama Said He Would Accept Public Funding In The General Election. Question: "If you are nominated for President in 2008 and your major opponents agree to forgo private funding in the general election campaign, will you participate in the presidential public financing system?" Obama: "Yes. I have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests." (Sen. Barack Obama, "Presidential Candidate Questionnaire," Midwest Democracy Network, www.commoncause.org, 11/27/07)

CHANGE #3: Barack Obama Is Backtracking On His Support For Unilaterally Renegotiating NAFTA

During The Primaries, Barack Obama Pledged To Unilaterally Renegotiate NAFTA. NBC'S TIM RUSSERT: "A simple question. Will you as president say to Canada and Mexico, this [NAFTA] has not worked for us, we are out?" OBAMA: "I will make sure that we renegotiate in the same way that Senator Clinton talked about, and I think actually Senator Clinton's answer on this one is right. I think we should use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced." (Sen. Barack Obama, MSNBC Democrat Presidential Debate, Cleveland, OH, 2/26/08)

In The General Election, Barack Obama Now Says His Words Were "Overheated And Amplified." "In an interview with Fortune to be featured in the magazine's upcoming issue, the presumptive Democratic nominee backed off his harshest attacks on the free trade agreement and indicated he didn't want to unilaterally reopen negotiations on NAFTA. 'Sometimes during campaigns the rhetoric gets overheated and amplified,' he conceded, after I reminded him that he had called NAFTA 'devastating' and 'a big mistake,' despite nonpartisan studies concluding that the trade zone has had a mild, positive effect on the U.S. economy." (Nina Easton, "Obama: NAFTA Not So Bad After All," Fortune, 6/18/08)

CHANGE #4: Barack Obama Is Considering Reducing Corporate Taxes Despite Having Called Corporate Tax Cuts "The Exact Wrong Prescription For America"

The Wall Street Journal Reported That Barack Obama Would Consider Lowering Corporate Taxes. "Sen. Obama's nod to lowering corporate taxes comes as Republica