Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

sunnis your opinion on dua tawassul?

Why is this dua regarded as only a shia dua?

What is the thing or verse or quote in this beautiful dua that sunnis object to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B4YvpvA4gM

Youtube thumbnail

12 Answers

Relevance
  • FTL
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Controversy over the issue of tawassul is not a matter of discord between Shia and Sunni Muslims, but it is a difference of opinion between the Salafiyyah sect and the rest of Muslims.

"O our father, ask forgiveness for our sins, verily we are sinners. He said: 'Soon I will ask forgiveness for you from my Lord. Verily He is oft-forgiving, most merciful'." (12:97-98).

"On that day shall no intercession avail except of him whom the Beneficent God allows and whose word He is pleased with" (20:109)

"And intercession will not avail aught with Him save of him whom He permits" (34:23)

"And how many an angel is there in the heavens whose intercession does not avail at all except after Allah has given permission to whom He pleases and chooses" (53:26)

"...And they do not intercede except for him whom He approve..." (21:28)

"And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him)" (43:86)

"We did not send a messenger but that he should be obeyed by Allah's permission; and had they, when they had done injustice to themselves, come to you and asked Allah's forgiveness; and the messenger (also) had asked pardon for them, surely, they would have found Allah oft-returning, merciful" (4:64)".

Narrated Mahmuid bin Rabi' Al-Ansari:

'Itban bin Malik used to lead his people (tribe) in prayer and was a blind man, he said to Allah's Apostle , "O Allah's Apostle! At times it is dark and flood water is flowing (in the valley) and I am blind man, so please pray at a place in my house so that I can take it as a Musalla (praying place)." So Allah's Apostle went to his house and said, "Where do you like me to pray?" 'Itban pointed to a place in his house and Allah's Apostle, offered the prayer there

Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 11, Number 636

Narrated Sahl:

On the day (of the battle) of Khaibar the Prophet said, "Tomorrow I will give the flag to somebody who will be given victory (by Allah) and who loves Allah and His Apostle and is loved by Allah and His Apostle." So, the people wondered all that night as to who would receive the flag and in the morning everyone hoped that he would be that person. Allah's Apostle asked, "Where is 'Ali?" He was told that 'Ali was suffering from eye-trouble, so he applied saliva to his eyes and invoked Allah to cure him. He at once got cured as if he had no ailment. The Prophet gave him the flag. 'Ali said, "Should I fight them till they become like us (i.e. Muslim)?" The Prophet said, "Go to them patiently and calmly till you enter the land. Then, invite them to Islam, and inform them what is enjoined upon them, for, by Allah, if Allah gives guidance to somebody through you, it is better for you than possessing red camels."

Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 253

Salafi are not ready to take guidance from this part of Qur'an and Sunnah since it is in direct contradiction to their doctrine of Literalism. It is unfortunate that their Ulama try their best to hide / neglect such type of Ahadith in order to keep the people ignorant of them.

That is why most of the simple people, who follow the Salafi path, they are fully unaware of existence of this part of Qur'an and Sunnah. These poor people are following only that, which the Salafi Ulama tell them.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Dua Yastasheer

• 1 decade ago

There is no difference among groups of Muslims in their consensus on the permissibility of three types of supplicating Allah through an intermediary (tawassul):

TAWASSUL through a living righteous person to Allah Most High, as in the hadith of the blind man with the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) as we shall explain;

The TAWASSUL of a living person to Allah Most High through his own good deeds, as in the hadith of the three people trapped in a cave by a great stone, a hadith related by Imam Bukhari in his "Sahih;"

And the TAWASSUL of a person to Allah Most High through His entity (dhat), names, attributes, and so forth.

The only area of disagreement is supplicating Allah (tawassul) through a righteousDEADperson. The majority of the orthodox Sunni Community hold that it is lawful.

Source(s): someone who believes that those called upon can cause effects, benefit, or harm, such a person is an idolator who has left Islam
  • 1 decade ago

Because we the sunni's believe it's haram to call to a prophet in dua, Only god should be the one we call to not a prophet, as i said we believe it;s haram, only the shia call to a prophet. Like its haram to say muhammad(pbuh) heal me, or muhammed help me. Thats only supposed to be said torwards allah.

Source(s): Sunni
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ask people who do tawassuf, we "sunnis" only make tawassul to Allah.

Note the difference between TawassuF and TawassuL.

إِيَّاك نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِين

Look at the beauty of the verse in Arabic, which can not be translated. It does not say "alone" but it is clear when it says wa iyaka again, meaning ONLY Allah do we ask for help.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Majority of Muslims agree on Tawassul/Wasila. Brother FTL answer is affirmative.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Let me clarify this with an example. Imagine that you want to ask your teacher to do something for you, but you can't because you've been a bad student and now you're shy. Even if you ask him yourself, he might refuse. Instead you ask someone who is dear to your teacher to intermediate between you and him. You ask that person to ask the teacher to do what you want and the teacher accepts it.

Another point is that, Shi'a don't "always" ask for help from Imams whom they believe are intermediaries. They ask for help from God, but there are some exceptions. As you know the holy shrine of Imam Reza is in Mashad / Iran, so people go there (maybe even just once or twice in their life) to ask Imam Reza for help. Interestingly enough, most of their wishes come true. We all have full knowledge that it's not Imam Reza who helps us. It's God. In a way he does help too. He's so dear to God that he intermediates between we sinners and God. We are all sinners and most of the times our wishes don't come true when we ask directly from God. That's what we do on a daily basis (asking help from God), but we rarely get a response, because we are sinners and our connection with God is not the same way it was when we were innocent children. I hope I helped you.

Source(s): Iranian Shi'a Muslim
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simply because we it's not necessary for Sunnis to ask an intermediary for help.....we have the luxury of being able to make Dua to Allah directly...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is meant by tawassul and waseelah is four things:

the kind of tawassul without which faith cannot be complete, which is seeking to reach Allaah (tawassul) by believing in Him and His Messengers, and obeying Him and His Messenger, This is what is meant in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Do your duty to Allaah and fear Him. Seek the means of approach to Him…”

[al-Maa’idah 5:35]

This includes seeking to approach Allaah through His Names and Attributes, or by doing acts of obedience and worship by which one seeks to approach Allaah, and so on.

Seeking to approach Allaah by asking His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to make du’a’ for one during his lifetime, and the believers asking one another to make du’aa’ for one another. This follows on from the first type and is encouraged.

Seeking to approach Allaah by virtue of the status and virtues of some created being, such as saying, “O Allaah, I ask You by virtue of Your Prophet” and so on. This is allowed by some of the ‘ulama’, but this opinion is da’eef (weak). The correct view is that it is definitely haraam, because there can be no tawassul in du’aa’ except by virtue of the Names and Attributes of Allaah.

Tawassul as it is understood by many of the Muslims of later times, which is calling on the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and seeking his help (or seeking the help of the dead and so-called awliya’). This is a form of major shirk, because calling on or seeking help from anyone other than Allaah with regard to something that that only Allaah is able to do is a kind of worship, and directing worship to anyone or anything other than Allaah is major shirk.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “ And whoever invokes (or worships) besides Allaah, any other god, of whom he has no proof, then his reckoning is only with his Lord. Surely, al-kaafiroon (the disbelievers in Allaah and in the Oneness of Allaah) will not be successful.” [al-Mu’minoon 23:117].

Allaah states that anyone who calls on anything other than him is taking that thing as a god, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): “…And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not even a qitmeer (the thin membrane over a date-stone). If you invoke (or call upon) them, they hear not your call, and if (in case) they were to hear, they could not grant it (your request) to you. And on the Day of Resurrection, they will disown your worshipping them. And none can inform you (O Muhammad), like Him Who is the All-Knower (of everything).” [Faatir 35:13-14].

And Allaah knows best.

Regards

DT

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Allah said ,there is a role model for you is the character of Mohammad (SAW)

prophet has taught us manners of every thing .which is called Sunnah.

from his biography ,we learn how a muslim should behave in all the matters,religious and worldly affairs .

so how could it possible that he did not teach us how to make dua .

there r hundreds of Dua narrated in sahih Hadiths and quran

many Duas of other prophets (AS) R mentioned in Qura'an.

Non of them teaches us the way as in this video .No wasila of any prophet .

All Duas r directly to Allah (saw),Only Allah is the one who is capable to help us in any situation .

He is the only one who knows our need and desires,no one else than Him knows whats in our hearts and mind .

some answere ,tried to compare Allah (swt) to this wordly bosses,or kings .that we have to go through their assistance .they take our application to them ,we do not ask directly .

this concept is not right ,As we can not compare Allah (swt) with wordly kings and bosses ,who has limited knowledge,limited abilities to help .So that example is not relevant .Rather its a shirk ,for the reason of comparing Allah's mercy ,knowledge ,ability to help his servants.

Allah is a being ,non is compareable to Him in any aspect.

we can not immagine Him ,our knowledge ,wisdom is so limited

"Laisa Kamis li ho shay'ya" Non is cmpareable to Him

Ability to reach Him directly is a uniqueness & beauty of this King of kings ,

But people can not digest this fact , they try to mingle this uniqueness of Islam with other faiths ,which teaches that Allah is like wordly kings ,who r not reached directly .

The bigger is a rank of a person the harder is to reach & approach him.(in normal life )

but Allah is the one who is the greatest of all even then closest & most easily approacable to every single one .

What a unique & great religion.

Just follow the path of Muhammad (saw) that could be a real wasila (means ) to reach Allah (swt)

@ FTL, don't try to confuse the issue and lie about the subject ,its not true that all muslims except Salafi agrees with this kind of dua.

I can show you thousands of scholars ,who r not Salafi ,who do not Allow making duas to anyone otherthan Allah.

Shias actually say Ya Ali Madad..They directly ask Hazrat Ali (RA) which is SHIRK not even waseela..Which is a faaaar bigger sin. U don't ask Allah through Hazrat Ali (RA) which is waseela (and also wrong) BUT instead u committ shirk by directly asking Hazrat Ali for help.

And what u quote from Quran its entirly diffferent thing

What yousuf's (As)brother did it has nothing to do with shias calling YaAli ,Ya Hussain& Ya hasan .

Why stop at these five person why not Mohammad (saw)

wives ,like Khadija (ra)should be called for help,if not Aisha(a) who is cursed by shias .

U know that pagan ,also had the same concept ,They used to go to their Idols ,thinking that they will bring them close to Allah.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.