Do I have to have an existing phone line/signal going into my house to have dial up internet?

I want to get basic dial up to get internet for a cheap price but I wanted to know if I have to have an existing phone service to allow the dial up to work.

Best Answer

Yes you need an active phone line for dial-up internet to work. Dial-up internet uses the same telephone line you would to make a land-line phone call.

Source(s): Former dial-up user
  • E P

Dial-up access requires an active phone line in additional to a dial-up Internet Service Provider.

yes, dial up runs through your phone line (which is why you can't use the internet and be on the telephone at the same time with dial-up)

AT&T basic phone service runs at about $15 + tax. That's only for local calling and no special features.

Don't get dial up..It's about the same price as DSL and DSL is 10 times faster with everything plus more then Dial up and Yes you do need a phone line for dial up i believe.

DIAL UP?!?????. lol there are much better options for internet but if you are going to have a dial up connection you will need to have a phone jack so that they can set up the internet

Have you got a phone in your house that you plug in. If so you can have dial up internet

if you go to use Dial up connection for the internet you have to had cord to put in your computer from the wall, that the telephone company install in your house, if you have internet wireless you no need a phone in your house to use the internet. I never heard that you can connect a cell phone to you computer and used the phone to connect the internet, but I think in this life everything can be possible. but I dough it. good luck

yeah, that is the only way to "dial up". You have to have a dial tone.

And, truthfully dial up is as or more expensive than DSL now.

Absolutely.

A basic dialup account uses a modem (MODulator/DEModulator) to convert your computer's digital signal into a sound that is transmitted over the phone like any other noise, that's modulation. The ISP's modem on the other end converts the sound into digital, that's demodulation.

In order for that to work, you need to have a phone service to carry the sound from your modem to the ISP's modem.

to have dial up yes. But if your anywhere near WIFI or somewhere else where somebody has a connection. Just go to "connect to" and look for unsecured network and connect to that