Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Are dogs allergic to anything else besides chocolate?

My boyfriend keeps telling me dogs are allergic to a lot more other things besides chocolate. Like I would be feeding my dogs something I would eat (because I heard it's good to feed your dogs human food time to time) and he would tell me they are allergic to this and that and bla bla bla. He's like my human encyclopedia but for some reason I doubt they are allergic to A LOT more other things. Or are they... ?????

I fed my dogs almost everything I've ever eaten in my life because my friends and family would tell me different things. And for some reason I never had the time to google it up or anything. LOL

Best Answer

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs..it varies on the dose based to the size of the dog if it will kill them or not. The others above are correct that there is a lot that they are poisonous to that we humans can eat. So the allergic comment is not true in this instance.

As far as Allergies in dogs go, it is the same for humans. One can be very allergic, to say, cats...but then the next person isn't.

I have a dog that IS allergic to Duck, Chicken, Peanuts, and Yeast as far as the food goes. He is also allergic to grass and molds and a few types of tree pollen! If he eats ANY of these things he will get an ear infection or a staff infection on his skin that can only be dealt with via antibiotics. It is getting harder and harder to deal with the older he gets. If we catch him getting into something the benadryl will no longer work on him, nor will other antihistamines. We found out that he was allergic with a simple blood test.

• W.

Dogs aren't allergic to chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to dogs . There are many foods and plants that are toxic to dogs. You can find several complete lists by doing a simple search.

I've read that they aren't supposed to eat onions either.

But individual dogs can be allergic to lots of things. Food allergies are not uncommon (usually they will show up after several years of eating the same kind of food). Dogs can also get seasonal allergies (mold, pollen, etc).

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_...

Dogs are not allergic to chocolate, its very poisenous to them and raisins, also.

Others :

Dogs, because of their indiscriminate eating habits, are frequently exposed to toxins. Three commonly seen toxins are anticoagulant rodenticides (rat poison), metaldehyde (snail bait), and ethylene glycol (antifreeze). All three are apparently quite tasty (dogs ingest large amounts), and all three are fatal without treatment.

Source(s): Speaking w/my vet.

There are a variety of foods that are surprisingly toxic to pets. One of the not-so-well-known foods is avocados. You should never feed your pet anything outside their normal diet. If your pet mistakenly eats a food you are unsure of, contact poison control.

Pick a high quality dog food and treats. Stick to that. When dogs are introduced to human food, they are prone to pancreatitis and numerous other unpleasant ailments. (Allergies, etc.)

my dogs are allergic to my mother in law.

www. missouri scenic rivers .com/ bad dog foods .html has a lot of information for you.

yes...they really are! not sure where you heard human food is good for them?? but it's very hard for them to digest. You should do some reasearch of food bad for dogs.

Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

One other thing that they cant eat is grapes. They are poisonous to them and will get sick if they eat to many of them.