Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What goes on in a UU service?

Unitarian Universalism I mean. Inquring minds want to know.

I'm thinking about going to one soon.

Favorite Answer

As a UU...

I know this will sound like a cop out, but really, it's true.

It depends on the UU congregation.

UU church in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. They talked about doing good deeds, being a decent human, the morality of salad bar religions like UUism and about how there's no one right way to the Divine.

UU church in Northampton, Massachusetts. They talked about gay rights and gay marriages within the UU community, and organized demonstrations and activist activities to raise awareness. No higher power was mentioned.

UU church in Westport, Connecticut. They talked about sexual freedom, and the concepts of sinning and sexuality, and where it came from. Mostly referenced the Christian god.

UU church in New Jersey (forgot town). They read inspirational stories about incredible people, to inspire everyone at the congregation to exhibit more inner courageousness and be bolder and not be afraid. Sometimes a higher power was mentioned, and sometimes, they would read Sneeches on Beaches by Dr. Seuss.

Some congregations bring in the divine, some don't. Some like to reference a certain religion, some don't. Some are more activist/social issue related, some are more spiritual and less on the activism. It can really depend on who is leading the congregation.

• Here are the seven principles of Unitarian Universalism.

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

I have been to many UU services and always found the people very welcoming and accepting to people of various religious and philosophical backgrounds.

The one my parents go to (I sometimes go) is more about being a community. No religious baggage attached. When i was in high school they did one thing other religions would never do, field trips to various religious services so that we could learn more and if we choose, join that religion.

Edit: Pang: we got those sewn into a quilt that is hung on our wall xD

Me too! My friend is unitarian and im making him take me with him next week.