Why do British people seem so surprised by handguns?

I am a dual citizen of Yemen (where my dad is from) and the United States (where I was born). Both countries have a strong tradition of gun ownership; I have taken college friends with me to Yemen, and they are surprised to see men and teens walking around with SKS or AK variant assault rifles slung across their backs. That's just the culture.

Anyhow, I had several acquaintances from England (mostly London) visit me last week, and they wanted me to drive them around "the ghetto" of my city. Brits are also fascinated by American gang culture. So, naturally, I holstered my Colt M1911 .45 ACP (this is a semiautomatic handgun, for those who don't know) and got ready to go.

The Brits were SHOCKED that I would carry a handgun with me in public, and that I was doing so legally (I have a CCW permit for this state).

Why were they so surprised? When I visited St. Petersburg, Russia (which, while not in the EU, certainly IS part of Europe), my friends there did the exact same thing. Why are Brits so terrified of handguns?

Favorite Answer

Because handguns are 100% illegal in this country, and nobody carries any guns at all in public. It's illegal to carry mace etc in public too. Dumb up law.

Probably just the culture and the attitudes towards handguns they were raised with. I don't know. I personally would feel kind of uneasy with a gun around.

• Kay

The thought of someone carrying around a handgun is extremely worrying.

I don't know why it is to us but over here it's illegal to carry any type of gun. Usually the police don't have guns, although they might in major cities.

And btw you act like you're proud of your country because of the high gun death rates, really it's a terrible thing.

Source(s): I'm british.

You sound like this is a bad thing when in fact it's the reason why we have such a low level of gun crime in our country. The states has the one of the highest.

All guns should be banned from every country. It's so stupid that anyone can carry a gun.

Maybe because parliament does not allow guns to be carried around in England, and just like you when they see something they are not used to or expecting they get surprised.

We aren't terrified of guns..its just that..if you need to carry one..its because where we are going is that dangerous you need one!

It's illegal in Britain.

Source(s): I'm British.

Backward societies are always fascinating

BECAUSE PEOPLE GET MURDERED BY THEM YA KNOW