What can I do to get into the film business?

I am wondering what it takes to get into the film industry. Whether its editing, producing, directing or even helping in some way in a movie, commercial or music video.

Besides networking, what degree would I need or schooling?

and the biggest question of all. Is it worth even trying to get into the industry considering its so saturated and hard to get into?

Favorite Answer

What about getting into Film School (a reputable and serious film school, preferably University).

• Bandit

Man, unless you get real lucky, it's a daunting task. My daughter acquired a degree in Film from USC. That's the most prestigious film school in the world. All the Hollywood crowd go there. She couldn't break into the industry for several years and finally gave up and went into a different field. Of course she has done well and has a very good career, but unless you have some juice in the industry, it's really, really hard. Every actor, director, grip, extra, etc has a script or a friend who edits, films, directs, etc. Right now India makes more movies than anywhere in the world. Perhaps you might be more of a stand out there ? Certainly, you may need to spend a few years working as an unpaid intern no matter what you decide. That's how the industry works for a great part, on free labor.

The first thing you need to decide is what it is YOU really want to do. The film industry employees thousands of people in hundreds of unique jobs, most of which the general public has never heard of.

If you respond here with more specifics regarding what you are most interested in, I can provide a far more detailed response. Or, if you truly aren't sure at this point, I will highly recommend that you read the book, "What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood" to learn precisely what everyone on set actually does and what your life in the industry would be like. Sometimes what you think would be a "cool" or interesting job turns out not to be once you realize what it entails. Some of the top jobs can be extraordinarily difficult to achieve and for many people who dream big, they never quite make it.

Having said that, if you truly want to be in the business, you can do it. It is NOT impossible. It can be difficult and takes extraordinary passion, enthusiasm, and perseverance, but it is not impossible. For some people, filmschool is best for them. For others, just moving to "Hollywood" and jumping in somehow works. Learning how the professional industry actually works is the first step to figuring out how to best proceed FOR YOU. So I urge you to read that book, visit the website and explore all of the resources available there, and if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to email me directly at contact@whatireallywanttodo.com.

Good luck!

Brian Dzyak

Cameraman/Author

IATSE Local 600, SOC

http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com

take acting classes. Ask your mom or dad. You need to be trained no matter how talented a person thinks they are...they will teach you about techniques, you will be able to practice and they will probably video tape it so you can start having some scenes for your demo reel which show cases you acting. Good luck sweetie and don't listen to that person above you...yes education is important and you should stay in school but if this is your dream go for it! <3 If your 13 mayb try and get on a show like degrassi or disney. I know if you google degrassi auditions they have a mailing adress where they accept stuff from ppl inquiring about auditioning to be on that show.