Why are religious organizations tax exempt?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances", if religions don't pay taxes aren't... show more "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances", if religions don't pay taxes aren't taxpayers footing the bill for them? Taxes pay for municipal services which they enjoy but at my expense. I don't see anything in the first amendment that allows them a free ride at taxpayer expense.
Update: To Gumby : police , sanitation, fire department, school taxes. Everything I enjoy and pay for which they dont pay for.
Update 2: To blessedrobert. Then let tose people pay the bills for their respective religious organizations. Why should non belivers foot the bill for them.
Update 3: The church owns ts own fleet of jets, cars, the most extensive collection of art, over 20 % of the European stock market yet the parrish where I live is nearly broke. Maybe they should share their wealth. I wish I had a vow of poverty like they do. Maybe then I could send my kids to college, have more food to eat,... show more The church owns ts own fleet of jets, cars, the most extensive collection of art, over 20 % of the European stock market yet the parrish where I live is nearly broke. Maybe they should share their wealth. I wish I had a vow of poverty like they do. Maybe then I could send my kids to college, have more food to eat, live in a good area.
Update 4: I guess gumby never heard of property taxes which covers police, fire and sanitation. Im in New York and thats they it is here. I have no kids in school yet I get a school tax bill every year. This year it $ 5,800. Last year $4,100. Havent had a kid in school fo 10 years.
Update 5: Gumby, also, " including garbage, sewer and water" these are municiple services. Utilities are gas and electric .
Update 6: By the way I said religions, I didn't single out the Church. There are the temples, mosques, synagogues, yoga retreats, and basement places of worship. Nearly every home in an area of New York known as Kriyas Joel has a synagogue in the house and is partially taxed exempt. Why should I have to pick up the... show more By the way I said religions, I didn't single out the Church. There are the temples, mosques, synagogues, yoga retreats, and basement places of worship. Nearly every home in an area of New York known as Kriyas Joel has a synagogue in the house and is partially taxed exempt. Why should I have to pick up the slack for these groups. They don’t contribute back to the community as a whole. The only time I've seen this was when I was a kid in Brooklyn NY and there were after school activities for all the kids regardless of their religious beliefs. You dont see this kind of open acceptance any more.
Update 7: Kærlighed er et verbum. I gave you a thumbs up. I believe a good answer for or against what I believe gets a rating. I never report abuse unless it's overly offensive or derogatory.
Update 8: By the way Gumby, I gave you a thumbs up to. I like a good intelligent discussion.