Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 decade ago

Why did Queen Elizabeth cut her hair and dye her skin white?

^

• Paco
    Favorite Answer

The end of the movie "Elizabeth" made the hair cutting and face painting a dramatic decision by Elizabeth. The reality was a little more prosaic. Elizabeth did catch smallpox when she was age 28 (3 years after her coronation) which left some scarring, but the makeup was not unusual for the day. The cult of the "virgin queen" was developed when Elizabeth was approaching 40 and it was clear that she was not going to marry. It was not a single dramatic gesture.

----------------------------------

The 'Ideal' Tudor Woman

The Tudor view of pure beauty during the Elizabethan era was a woman with light hair and a snow white complexion which was complimented with red cheeks and red lips. A pale complexion could only be achieved by a wealthy woman of the upper class. Poor women were expected to work outside and therefore acquired a suntan. The pale complexion was therefore a sign of wealth and nobility - an immediate identification for a person from the rich upper classes. This alabaster complexion was therefore also sought after by Tudor men.

White make-up used by Tudor Woman

Queen Elizabeth did have the natural attributes of this ideal image of beauty but she enhanced and exaggerated the image by using white make-up. This explains the odd white face make-up seen in many of her portraits. The favoured application of the upper classes was a make-up called ceruse which was a mixture of white lead and vinegar. Unfortunately was poisonous. The acquisition of a pale complexion was so desirable that rich Tudor women were bled to achieve the desired pale look. Face paint made from plant roots and leaves was also applied. The look was completed with an application of an expensive rouge made from cochineal to stain the cheeks and the lips. Madder and vermilion was also used to achieve this reddening effect. Kohl was used to darken the eyelashes, another element of make-up which was imported from the Middle East during the crusades.

Tudor Make-up and Cosmetics - Hair Dye

Rich Tudor women followed the fashion of light hair dyed their hair yellow. The yellow hair dye was made from a mixture of saffron, cumin seed, celandine and oil. Wigs and hairpieces were also popular and Queen Elizabeth I had a wide variety of wigs, periwigs and hair pieces which numbered over eighty.

• tameka

Queen Elizabeth Makeup

Queen Elizabeth Wig

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

^

Source(s): queen elizabeth cut hair dye skin white: https://biturl.im/oSrFz

She caught the pox and it left scarring in 1562. Elizabeth, being Queen and slightly vain, if you ask me, naturally turned to certain cosmetics. Also for certain an ideal appearance. A high forehead was a sign of intelligence and of course you will notice she styled her hair and wigs so that she had a high forehead. Being pale was another desirable thing as it signified your wealth. As for cutting her hair? I don't believe she cut it at random, but rather because she began loosing it! She wore wigs, of course, from a very young age anyways because it was fashionable. She wore white lead makeup which is extremely unhealthy as over time the use of the lead would poison a person's body. Cheers!

She caught the pox and it left scarring in 1562. Elizabeth, being Queen and slightly vain, if you ask me, naturally turned to certain cosmetics.

Also for certain an ideal appearance. A high forehead was a sign of intelligence and of course you will notice she styled her hair and wigs so that she had a high forehead. Being pale was another desirable thing as it signified your wealth. As for cutting her hair? I don't believe she cut it at random, but rather because she began loosing it! She wore wigs, of course, from a very young age anyways because it was fashionable.

She wore white lead makeup which is extremely unhealthy as over time the use of the lead would poison a person's body.

Cheers!

• Kelley

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axqIC

I read the headline and thought you meant the current queen. Had to look. Elizabeth the First wore, as someone else said, tons of makeup to cover scars from smallpox. The makeup of the day was bascially lead powder, which made the skin look white, but also poisoned the wearer. (Kinda amazing she lived as long as she did). Many of the people of the day lived to see their skin literally dissolve from the use of it. And it made them look almost dead. Hey, we can fix that in modern photgraphs, why couldn't the painters just make their subjects look a little more alive? I never have understood that. Check out the fashions of the day, too. A woman couldn't even bend over for all the stays in her bodices.

That is not exactly true. You see, she ruled for a long time and her skin was white because of powder and age. I may have looked like she got her hair cut, but is not likely.

Source(s): A Tudor Family expert

I don't know about her hair, I guess that just like everyone else, she wanted a new style. About her skin, I think it's because old people get many skin stains so she had to dye it.

I honestly dont have got the patience to keep my curly hair long