Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

On a scale of 1 to 10, how healthy is this meal?

I have a “Fave” recipe and though I tend to alter it to fit what I have in my fridge/freezer… I would eat this every night if I lived alone.

It usually tends to be:

1 hamburger patty

1 cup of either fresh mushrooms or frozen spinach

1 medium onion, diced

At least half a bulb of garlic, some times I use the whole bulb if it is small.

A bunch of fresh basil from my window

A handful of fresh parsley from my window

A pinch of salt

A tablespoon of some form of seasoning mix, usually McCormick’s “Hamburger Seasoning” but Cajun as well…

A tablespoon of sour cream

A splash of Balsamic Vinegar

1 tablespoon full of olive oil to sauté the veggies

2 handfuls of cooked egg noodles

Fry the hamburger patty and chop in to bite sized pieces. Pour off ANY liquid/fat and add olive oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, and mushrooms until brown and cooked through. Toss in the frozen spinach if using. Wait until spinach is mostly defrosted and add the Balsamic. Simmer to reduce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Take off the heat. Stir in the sour cream.

Put egg noodles in the bowl and spoon the meat and veg mixture over egg noodles.

Serve.

So… This is my FAVE meal in the world… I will replace the hamburger with chicken if that is what I have but I like it the most with ground beef.

I like “Dry” meat so I squeeze out the juices and fat with a bacon press and pour it off then use healthy fats to cook with.

Does this sound half way healthy?

I LOVE onions and garlic and have made this with a large onion and a can of mushrooms instead.

When I’m home alone, I will go through a whole onion and almost a whole bulb of garlic a day… I was told that I eat onion and garlic because my body needs more sulfur.

So, will this kill me? LOL?

Favorite Answer

Not bad...about 7.5/10 :)

It sounds really nice. Healthwise, it's not a terrible meal, but there are changes you can make.

Some tips I would recommend:

Buy lean beef mince / heart smart mince, or similar rather than using pre-prepared hamburger patties which have unnecessary fat and additives (depending on what you get)

Grill the burger on the BBQ, or on a grill where the fat can seep out

Try and use fresh vegetables more than frozen in case there are any additives - always better if you've grown them yourself

Try replacing the sour cream with a light cream

Egg noodles tend to be high in fat, try using rice noodles instead

Use less oil when you sauté, they will generally produce their own moisture as they cook and this will be enough to cook them in

Okay when you say a bulb of garlic to you mean a head or a clove? A whole head of garlic is an aful lot.

You have a lot of veggies in there wich balances out the beef and egg noodles (1 tbsp of sour cream isn't to bad). Try using some chicken breast or a turkey burger also to change it up and reduce the calories.

Overall I would say about a 7ish.

I'm in college for nutrition at the moment and your body needs some "bad fats" like olive oil is actually really good for you, like anything in moderation. The sour cream is probably the only killer, but because it is only a tablespoon i wouldn't worry about it. You may want to find a leaner beef, like 90 or 95% so you wont have so many "bad fats". this dish looks really good and i think i will try it some night! The more veggies you add to this dish the better and chicken would make it a lot healthier, you could always grill the chicken, or marinade it before you add it to the veggies. good luck! and just try to eat things in moderation, and remember to exercise!!! Good luck!

instead of hamburger use ground sirloin or ground round... less fat, leave out the sour cream, and use whole wheat noodles to make this meal more healthy.

But if this is your fave meal, you have a healthy weight, and you eat a balanced diet, I wouldn't worry about it. Everything in moderation! Don't overdo anything, and you're fine.

replace egg noodles with whole wheat pasta. and hamburger patties are not very healthy. look for lean beef, which tend to have less fats. Overall it looks balanced but if this is what you eat almost every night you might want to get more recipes.

The hamburger, seasoning, sour cream, and egg noodles are the unhealthy elements.

pretty healthy, try to eat it the food u love but in small portions so that u don't gain weight and exercise . this will keep u healthy ! as much as i say it i cant exercise im lazy lol

seem to be balance if the burger is bout 8oz