Are we as hip hop fans too stubborn in our views?

And when was the last time (if ever) you changed your opinion on something to do with hip hop based on an argument you heard about it on Y!A (or anywhere else).

Eg: Like changing your mind about who you think is GOAT, or starting to give props to an emcee you used to hate, stuff like that.

Should we be adamant in our viewpoints because it's simply a sign of how passionate we are about the subject, or should we be more willing to change our minds?

Best Answer

of course. especially, ESPECIALLY, the underground heads. they think any mainstream artist not named nas, lupe, or talib are wack, and think that if you make a song that isnt "socially conscious" is bullshit. **** that.

i dont remember the last time i changed my mind on something hip-hop related, but i used to be one of the underground heads that i now despise. i used to be closed-minded and arrogant because i thought i knew everything, but now i know that theres always someone better than you. i became more open minded to music in general, not just rap, ive gotten into rock more, some techno, soul, etc. etc. and i now that i look back on it, i feel stupid for bashing mainstream artists because i realized that i made myself look like a dick. so yes, i think we should be more willing to change our minds, because for me, if i didnt open my mind up to more music, i probably wouldve gotten bored with this rap ****

He's like a super hipster. He already listens to Aesop Rock, does he really have to pretend to enjoy his worst work? Does he really have to be a vegetarian AND refuse anything non organic? I don't care if someone has a mild case of hipster. I mean, I listen to fairly unknown music, I dislike some chain restaurants (Olive Garden, TGI Fridays), and I own a bean bag chair. Am I a hipster? Maybe, but that guy is just a giant douche, I don't care how nice he was saying things.

But Bonnie I like what I like...A statement I loath to be honest...I have no problem changing my mind on something or accepting a new truth or even listening to something over and over again to get the point...Hip hop is an ever evolving beast and its fans need to understand this and adapt...

I think that being here in RHH and hearing the opinions of some of you and DITC and DC and Angel and Tambourine and New Moon Daughter, Omagus, Mr. Nr. and a few others who have open minds and really talk with common sense and have widely different views of RHH and show respect of one anothers views have helped me to open up and listen to a lot of different types of music I may have never listened to. Now I pay closer attention to the "buzz" and actually keep a tablet next to my laptop and write down songs and names and listen to them and have actually purchased a lot of music I had never heard of before thanks to a lot of you.

I think we all have a lot of passion, but I also think that deep inside we all are open to sharing and learning. I know musically I really have "grown" and that is my main reason for sticking around. I enjoy learning more and more about RHH.

Peace & Love :)

• kN0!Ze

Y!A hasn't changed my opinion on anything.

They are MY opinions and if ppl dont like em im koo with that.

I do admit I have learned new stuff (artists,albums,RHH facts) from here but I've always stayed true to my own opinions.

Would that be being stubborn though?

idk.

lol

I changed my mind on a few things based on opinions and ideas shared by You, Mechanical, Omagus, Angel, DITC, and Ninja among others. We should be steadfast in our viewpoints if they are valid, but we should also be willing to have an open mind and consider different or new viewpoints.

I have become more open minded

I used to hate Freeway but my friend made me listen to him and now i think hes dope

somethings I wont budge on though like when these kids bring Wayne into GOAT conversations

• relating this to just hip-hop and hip-hop fans is stubborn itself, everyone is free to have their own judgement and opinion on something but at the end of the day, you don't have to believe everything you read or hear.

Im open to suggestions if someone thinks their opinions are better. In someway i am stubborn since I decide if someone's opinion is valid in my standards

Source(s): Its a sign of how passionate we are.
  • .

im pretty open minded, till someone says lil wanye or some other crap rapper is the best..i wont budge on that..thats pretty much the only thing...its hard to pick sides and agree on one thing over the other.