Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to clean a moldy dish and make it safe to use again?

I had a plastic microwaveable container (rice cooker) with leftover cous-cous in it that lay forgotten at the back of the fridge. It grew mold, and so I threw out all the cous cous, soaked the container in hot water with antibacterial soap, and scrubbed it the best I could with a washcloth and rinsed it out.

I wasn't able to scour it, however, or use a dishwasher, so is there a way to guarantee all the mold is gone? For example, filling it up with water and then boiling the water in the microwave?

I'd rather you not suggest buying a scrubber, because I don't want to spend money on it and I don't have a car to get to the store anyway (I'm in college!). So I just need this dish clean enough to cook food in and eat food out of it!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Boil a pot of water and pour it in the container. let it set for about 30 min with a little bleach in it.. should loosen everything up so you can just wash out with dish sponge

  • 3 years ago

    i might scrape as plenty off of them as i ought to, run them interior the direction of the dishwasher a minimum of two times and then if there are any stains left, i might soak them in bleach. mildew somewhat won't harm you. Plus, till the dishes are somewhat porous (which I doubt they're), they ought to honestly come clean. the mould won't adhere to them to any extent further than baked on cheese.

  • 1 decade ago

    Soak in part vinegar and water. Vinegar acts like a sterilizer solution. Then just a good scrub with soapy water later.

  • 1 decade ago

    Wash at as normal the rewash with a few drops of bleach rinse well!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.