Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to clean a moldy dish and make it safe to use again?

I had a plastic microwaveable container (rice cooker) with leftover cous-cous in it that lay forgotten at the back of the fridge. It grew mold, and so I threw out all the cous cous, soaked the container in hot water with antibacterial soap, and scrubbed it the best I could with a washcloth and rinsed it out.

I wasn't able to scour it, however, or use a dishwasher, so is there a way to guarantee all the mold is gone? For example, filling it up with water and then boiling the water in the microwave?

I'd rather you not suggest buying a scrubber, because I don't want to spend money on it and I don't have a car to get to the store anyway (I'm in college!). So I just need this dish clean enough to cook food in and eat food out of it!

Best Answer

Boil a pot of water and pour it in the container. let it set for about 30 min with a little bleach in it.. should loosen everything up so you can just wash out with dish sponge

i might scrape as plenty off of them as i ought to, run them interior the direction of the dishwasher a minimum of two times and then if there are any stains left, i might soak them in bleach. mildew somewhat won't harm you. Plus, till the dishes are somewhat porous (which I doubt they're), they ought to honestly come clean. the mould won't adhere to them to any extent further than baked on cheese.

Soak in part vinegar and water. Vinegar acts like a sterilizer solution. Then just a good scrub with soapy water later.

Wash at as normal the rewash with a few drops of bleach rinse well!