Car won't change gear - automatic car. Need serious advice!?

My car has just started to have tons of problems. One is when I go from stop to driving while in Drive (D) in my automatic 1997 Chrysler Sebring LXi it won't shift gears. I try putting it in 1 or 2 and it does the exact same thing as in drive. If I go too fast it even goes into the red in my rpm's without shifting... show more My car has just started to have tons of problems. One is when I go from stop to driving while in Drive (D) in my automatic 1997 Chrysler Sebring LXi it won't shift gears. I try putting it in 1 or 2 and it does the exact same thing as in drive. If I go too fast it even goes into the red in my rpm's without shifting or anything. Also, sometimes the car will be going and then when I try to give it gas it acts as if it's in neutral and just revs until I rev it a little and then it kicks back the way I explained. It sounds like the car is stuck in second or 2. So, if I'm driving 55 MPH I'll be at a constant 4.5k RPM while normally it would have shifted gears and been at 1.8k or so. Is this something I can fix or should I go to a mechanic. How much should I expect to pay? Thank you so much, Yahoo! Answers community!
6 answers