Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Help!My computer is acting unusual?

Well in my norton anti virus it says they found like 20 viruses but there is no action I can do,like to take the virus off.And now when I try to go on the internet,like Mozilla or explorer,it doesn't come out its seems to load but the page doesn't come up and my computer is starting to run task and programs pretty slow.And I don't know how to get rid of the viruses?

Best Answer

I will assume that you have little to no computer experience in dealing with these types of issues so I will try as hard as possible to keep things simple for you to understand. I am by no means trying to insult your intelligence or patronize you, keep that in mind as you go through these instructions. Please understand though that this can get quite technical so you may have to read through it a couple of times before you get the full understanding of what I am talking about.

First, a virus is nothing more than a program. Unfortunately, it is a type of program that doesn't always allow you to just get rid of it. I guess you could call it a renegade program...a rebel of sorts. More than likely the reason why you can't get rid of the virus(es) is b/c it starts to run, just like most other programs on your computer, as soon as you turn your computer on. Sometimes Windows or your anti-virus software, like Norton, can't stop a program or delete it once it has already started. You will have to do this manually. Yes, it will be a pain in the butt to do, these things always are. Try this and I'll provide links as best I can for the instructions I'm about to give you. Keep in mind that this may or may not work. I can't guarantee anything.

1. Write down the path to where the viruses are. Before you can get rid of the viruses you have to first find where they are hiding. Anti virus software usually tells you where the file can be found. Other times these files are "Hidden". We'll make sure now that they won't hide from you.

2. Click on your "Start" button, then click "My Computer". At the top of the window, where the menu items are (File Edit View, etc...), click on "Tools" and then "Folder Options". Doing this will open up a new smaller window that says "Folder Options" at the top left hand corner and has several tabs to choose from.

3. Click on the "View" tab (it's the second on from the left), and under the "Advanced Settings" section, You'll see a list of options. Under the "Files and Folders" section, if you go down the line, you'll see a folder icon that reads "Hidden files and folders". Click on the option to "Show hidden files and folders". You can close the "Folder Options" window and the "My Computer" window as well.

Now, let me explain what we just did and why. Viruses can sometimes hide themselves somewhere in a folder on your computer by automatically making themselves invisible. Sometimes you'll go to the folder where Norton or any other Anti-Virus software tells you the virus is and you won't see it there. What we just did ensures that when you go to the folder, you'll see the Virus, but you probably still won't be able to get rid of it. If you can (YAY!) great! But if you can't (BOO!) continue on with the rest of the instructions.

The next thing we're going to do, is start your computer in what's called "Safe Mode". All this means, in a nutshell, is that only certain programs that Windows needs will run when you start-up your machine and nothing else. Hopefully, not the viruses that are on your machine right now, making it easier to delete them. PLEASE PRINT OUT THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO RESTART THE COMPUTER. I'll provide links on how to start your computer in Safe Mode. This is long enough as it is and including instructions for a Safe Start will just bore you all the more. For now, I'll just continue with the instructions.

1. Start Windows in Safe mode. Once the Safe Mode screen appears, you'll have several options to choose from. Choose the first one, which is just plain "Safe Mode" alone.

2. Go to the list you created earlier of where the anti-virus software says the virus is.

3. Delete the files

Because we selected for all the "Hidden" files to be shown earlier, there shouldn't be any file that is not exposed, including your pesky viruses. You should just be able to select the file or folder and delete it. Once you have gotten the viruses off of your machine, reboot and run your anti-virus again; just to be safe. Then take the necessary steps again, if you need to. Finally, train yourself to be preventive; we've all been through this at one time or another. Stay away from questionable sites. Some anti-virus software will tell you when you get to a site that may be high-risk. Listen to Norton and stay away. If you choose to ignore it, you may find yourself having to do this again and again. At least you'll have a solution right (wink, wink). However, it may not be this simple next time. Viruses are getting easier to get and more and more difficult to get rid of. That's why you should renew your Anti-Virus subscription every year and constantly scan your machine. So...I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out.

Source(s): Starting Windows in Safe Mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

use another computer and go to

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

download "AntiVir Personal 8.2.00.334" and use cd/flash drive to transfer it to your buggy machine's desk top.

reboot your computer and tap the F8 key as it is starting up with black screen before your computers logo.

use the up/down arrow keys to select "boot in safe mode"

login with administrator enabled account (not limited or guest) and go to"start>control panel>add/remove programs.

click the Norton anti virus and select uninstall.

once you have removed Norton, reboot and immediately install Antivir.

update the virus definitions and then run full system scan and kill/delete the 20 viruses Norton found plus many more it didn't find.

next go back to fillhippo.com and down load the free programs; "ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.020.0" "Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6".

then go to http://www.glaryutilities.com/ and download the free version.

why?

zonealarm is a dual layer firewall program = it will stop hackers, malware and junk from getting into your computer plus it let's you control which programs on your computer can start/ send email/ access the Internet etc. this stops the stuff that you let in, like a toolbar or cracked program, from doing what you don't want it to do, like sending your info to someone else.

spybot search and destroy is an anti-spyware program which prevents your browser being hijacked to ad sited and other bad spyware actions.

finally, glary utilities is an all in one tool to clean your registry, fix short cuts, uninstall programs, control over grown context menues, secure delete files, erase your Internet tracks (your nosy girlfriend won't know the xx sites you've been to),

remove duplicate files and much more.

i also suggest the programs:

Revo uninstaller

Revo Uninstaller is a freeware uninstaller, which you can use to uninstall programs and scan after uninstall for leftover registry keys, files and folders

Unlocker

Unlocker Gets rid of error message like Error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it's being used by another person or program and lets you delete it anyway.

Mozilla Firefox

The Firefox Web Browser is the faster, more secure, and fully customizable way to surf the web.

Gadwin Printscreen

Easy to use freeware utility that allows you to capture any portion of the screen, save it to a file, copy it to Windows clipboard, print it or e-mail it

If you use the best tools, you will almost never have problems.

Source(s): years of experience

start your computer in safe mode with networking by tapping the F8 key while it is booting up...remove norton and anything else that says symantec from the control panel add/remove programs...go to www.avast.com and download the free home version and run a boot time scan which is part of the set up..it will remove any crap that norton missed and make your computer run nicely again...cheers

ohh

your are facing problem due to Anti virus program because of its renual

so just remove Nortan anti virus from your programs and then go for downloads.com and download either kaspersky or avast and go for scan for entire system then your problem will be resolved

but it just temporary only you want to out of these kind of problems continues updating of anti virus is must...........

All the Best....!

Source(s): Personal Experience

Siempre he tenido una excelente experiencia cundo he comprado ordenadores de sitios web, el ultimo ordenador que he comprado ha sido para un amigo que le gustan los juegos, he encontrado un ordenador perfecto en la pagina y en realidad es aun mejoren realidad, el diseños de la caja le ha encantado y el ordenador funciona perfectamente para los juegos, una excelente placa video, gran memoria y un buen procesador además de estar full HD, hacen de este ordenador un excelente ordenador para los juegos, tal como él quería.

download norton software removal tool as well this will really get rid of all norton/symantec crap

ask geek squad for help on your computer or the person who made that computer

get mcafee