promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

What are acceptable birth records for people born outside the United States?

Need to bring a birth certificate, but do not have one since born outside the United States. And do not have one from the country I was born in. So what can I show? If you can show me a link from www.state.gov that shows the answer, that would be great.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can submit any other record of your birth that meets the provisions of secondary evidence found in Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 103.2(b)(2).

Now the Code of Federal Regulations states that

(2) Submitting secondary evidence and affidavits(i) General. The non-existence or other unavailability of required evidence creates a presumption of ineligibility. If a required document, such as a birth or marriage certificate, does not exist or cannot be obtained, an applicant or petitioner must demonstrate this and submit secondary evidence, such as church or school records, pertinent to the facts at issue. If secondary evidence also does not exist or cannot be obtained, the applicant or petitioner must demonstrate the unavailability of both the required document and relevant secondary evidence, and submit two or more affidavits, sworn to or affirmed by persons who are not parties to the petition who have direct personal knowledge of the event and circumstances. Secondary evidence must overcome the unavailability of primary evidence, and affidavits must overcome the unavailability of both primary and secondary evidence.

(ii) Demonstrating that a record is not available. Where a record does not exist, the applicant or petitioner must submit an original written statement on government letterhead establishing this from the relevant government or other authority. The statement must indicate the reason the record does not exist, and indicate whether similar records for the time and place are available. However, a certification from an appropriate foreign government that a document does not exist is not required where the Department of State's Foreign Affairs Manual indicates this type of document generally does not exist. An applicant or petitioner who has not been able to acquire the necessary document or statement from the relevant foreign authority may submit evidence that repeated good faith attempts were made to obtain the required document or statement. However, where the Service finds that such documents or statements are generally available, it may require that the applicant or petitioner submit the required document or statement.

(iii) Evidence provided with a self-petition filed by a spouse or child of abusive citizen or resident. The Service will consider any credible evidence relevant to a self-petition filed by a qualified spouse or child of an abusive citizen or lawful permanent resident under section 204(a)(1)(A)(iii), 204(a)(1)(A)(iv), 204(a)(1)(B)(ii), or 204(a)(1)(B)(iii) of the Act. The self-petitioner may, but is not required to, demonstrate that preferred primary or secondary evidence is unavailable. The determination of what evidence is credible and the weight to be given that evidence shall be within the sole discretion of the Service.

You can search 8 CFR, 103.2 and search for point b 2.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What are acceptable birth records for people born outside the United States?

Need to bring a birth certificate, but do not have one since born outside the United States. And do not have one from the country I was born in. So what can I show? If you can show me a link from www.state.gov that shows the answer, that would be great.

Source(s): acceptable birth records people born united states: https://shortly.im/TmBjx
  • Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

My daughter's amended birth certificate was issued almost 13 months after her birth. The "Date Filed by Local Registrar" wasn't changed, but the "Date Issued" was. It looks odd. Two years ago we needed to get her a passport so we could go on an adventure. I brought along a certified copy of the adoption decree just in case. Her application was approved.

• HJW
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

was your birth never recorded?

since you did not mention your country of birth?

here is the US official site for overseas births:http://travel.state.gov/law/info/overseas/overseas...

go read the page, you will find the answer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • haight
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

8 Cfr 103.2

• 1 decade ago

well what country was you born in and why do they not issue a birth certificate............ maybe a baptismal certificate

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.