oh man, money money mony, dog food dog food dog food!?

Grrrrrr..im a little tight on money this month because of my new car payment and high vet bills, and i unfortunatly have to go to a cheaper dog food!!!!!!! Ive been feeding my dogs Innova EVO (54$ a bag! >=0) ever since my oldest (1.5 years) was 8 weeks, and now im in such a money cram that I have to step down a little ='(, just for a little bit (hopefully a month) till i get my feet back on the ground..so anyway, im not happy about this but i want your guys advice..

i was gonna go with diamonds, Diamond Naturals, its really cheap but i really dont like the ingredients or the quality, so i was thinkin

Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul (43$ after tax and all)

what do you think?

I usally buy right from a local pet feed store that im fortunate enough to have a minuete from my house, specializes in all types of great dog foods, so i have access to many good brand names.

43$ is still alot, but i really dont want to skimp on quality, and you get what you pay for.

megan! blue buffalo would have been my choiuce but thats the ONE FOOD he doesnt sell!! =[

Kristin-

yes i know, i remember you asking this q, and it waqs right when i was babout to go to DN but then i bailed on it! lol $ is so tight

jwenting-

my failure to balance my budget? haha ok your a moron, i cant help it prices are sky rocketing and my pay isnt. sorry mister money bags, but i dont do pubs and buy myself luxuries things. my animals come first, in fact i sold my baby a nissan 300zx twin turbo t top to get a pathfinder, which i do enjoy but its not what i want, just so my dogs have more room...everyone has times where they get low on money, so dont be a dick. thanks

• Ava
    Best Answer

I am going to switch my dogs to Kirkland dog food (Costco) when I run out of the dog food they are on now. I am not sure of the exact price, but I know it is much cheaper than what I currently feed!

Chicken Soup is actaully a good dog food at a great price. I have fed my dog's that for awhile until we moved and I cannot find any retailers around here that sell it. But if you have to cut back, I would go with them. I think when I bought it, it evened out to about $1 per pound of food.

And don't stress, everyone is feeling the money crunch right now. I am currently paying off Hospital Bills and have had to cut the dog's food to Pedigree for a few weeks until I get these paid off.

I hear Canidae is not so expensive.

I feed Blue Buffalo. I think it was 40 dollars for a 35 lb bag.

If you have a business and have a tax id you can order direct from the wholesaler to save some money. Pet stores upcharge on dog food a LOT.

I think you buy the best food that you can at this time. Chicken Soup is good food and I'm sure Diamond is okay as well. I'm fortunate in that the crunch hasn't hit us, yet. But if it does I will definitely go to different foods.

The way I see it is that dogs are part of the family, there are times we all eat lobster and there are times we all eat pasta. Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon.

I have had great success with the Maxxium dog food from Sam's Club. I use the Lamb and Rice product and it is under $30.00 a bag in my area, Virginia. It gives my Cockers and Afghans nice shiny coats and I have had no allergy problems from any of them. I also think the Diamond Natural Dog food is worth a second look. They had an incident with their food a few years ago, but it was not the Naturals product. The problem was mold from the corn storage area in Georgia, but the Naturals does not contain corn so it was not involved.

Source(s): A lifetime of Showing, grooming, occasional breeding and involvement with Cocker Spaniels and Afghan Hounds, 48 years.
  • Leigh

Why not try another Natura food like the regular Innova? It's a lot less money and still made by the same reputable company. Natura makes Innova, California Naturals, Healthwise, EVO, and Karma. If not, I'd definitely choose the Chicken Soup over the Diamond Naturals. If you choose to go with the Diamond Naturals, the Lamb & Rice is better.

I stepped down to Maxximum. Its a HUGE step down, and it *is* on the shelves of Walmart, but my dogs can eat it for two weeks or so, and then get more food- OR they can go without water and power if I buy their regular dog food. Its their choice.

Its a 40 pound bag for $35.

If you're not as down and dire as I was, I'd absolutely go with Chicken Soup..., from what I hear its a pretty good food.

I'm sorry to hear about times being tight. I know it's pretty rough for all Americans right now. Don't feel guilty to switch over to a cheaper food for the time being. Stay in top commercial brand and your dog will be fine. Good luck with everything.

Man, I know how you feel. I stepped down to a grocery store brand *gasp* until things get better for us.

Dogs aren't going to die from being fed "crappy" food. Lol...

Anyways, you could try Natural Balance, you can get the "allergy" formulas which don't have any grains. (Sweet Potato and Fish, Duck and Potato). My dogs love the fish kind!!! It runs us about 35/bag (the largest bag)!

EDIT: In addition to what Amanda said, Kirkland Chicken Rice and Veggies is an AWESOME food and runs about $17-20 for a 20 lb bag.

Just be sure to read the label and avoid fillers, corn and high content wheat/grains. It sounds like you know what to look for. Chicken Soup (Merrick) is a great brand with quality ingredients. I think that your dogs will do fine, just be sure to slowly acclimate them to a new food and if possible, boil some chicken and rice to mix in and soak with water to ease the transition.

Natural Balance is also a quality food and reasonable price.

Source(s): Jessica Hudson Founder/Co-Director Training & Behavioral Consultant Bama Bully Rescue, Inc www.BamaBully.org Jessica@bamabully.org Mom to: Cajun CGC, TDI, SD, TDit Jasmine IHSD Support American Pit Bull Terrier Rescue! "In dog training, jerk is a noun, not a verb."