25% of the homeless people in the USA are army veterans...another reason to NEVER join the army?!?

I dont have the UK figures, but i suspect theyll be similar...Is this the way we treat our soldiers, who are prepared to die to save us?! Arent we supposed to be civilised?

DONT EVER join the army please! and dont EVER let anyone u know join either! not until they start treating the vets better!

Update:

revrand..so why do u think they have drug addictions? because theyre so traumatised by the **** they went through in illegal wars!

Update 2:

revrand..so why do u think they have drug addictions? because theyre so traumatised by the **** they went through in illegal wars!

Update 3:

lol... 75% are not homeles thats fine then!!! the other 75% are probably suicidal or ****** up in some other way...or running to be president!

Update 4:

Natassia...Im sorry but, i cant believe you just said that...thats extremely selfish ..someone has to do it? yeah right, good thing its not u whos that someone? eh?

Right its usually the poorest prople who are fed propaganda, that convinces em theyre protecting their country if they do it, who end up being that someone!

And in what way was i not respectful to the soldiers?

Update 5:

What? when did i mention the draft?

Im not saying we shouldnt have an army...im saying we should treat the people who join it better! no one should join in htis time...not when they treat the soldiers with no respect at all!

Update 6:

HEY PENNY!

LOL...i love that song i never noticed it was an anti war song...until i watched this documentary about it...a few weeks ago..

thanks for the lesson though =O)

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Dr. Gonzo, I come from a long line of military veterans. My husband, Bear Man, my father, cousins, uncles grandfathers and great-grandfathers all served in the military. Each of them served during war time. My father fought in both the Korean and Vietnam war. I have deep respect for all who serve our country.

There is some help for Veterans who ask for it. The problem is many are so disturbed or independent, they don't ask for help. The VA and organizations who help veterans try to reach out to those who may not know help is available or are not interested in assistance. Social workers walk the streets and scour soup kitchens looking for vets who might need help, working with organizations that offer shelter or medical assistance. Our own member Universal Pants works with homeless Veterans.

I do agree with you concerning increasing the funds for our military personnel who are in trouble. Both for the wounded and the homeless veterans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

While this may be mostly true, it isn't completely. There was a book written about homeless Vietnam vets, and they discovered that during the study( where they found 25% of the homeless a vietnam vet) many of these homeless people told others they were a veteran to get more sympathy( people would give them money easier if they told them this. So 25% maybe not a true number, or maybe there are even more than that..the fact is that going to war will give you many mental problem.s having to kill nad Watching your friends die inst going to be a piece of cake for anyone, but not everyone turns to drugs once leaving the military. My grandfather was in WWII , fighting in Iwo jima and he never turned to drugs afterward. He got married and had children and worked two separate jobs at a time to support them. Im not sure how he dealt with the trauma, but I know he never became and alcoholic or dug addicted. So, this proves that some are able to overcome( though I know not all).

We do need a military to protect us, but we also need more benefits for those who do join the military.

That means lots of therapy before and after.

But then again, how do you overcome the horrors of warfare? I'm really not su re I could.

• 1 decade ago

I spent some time w/ a police liaison to the homeless a few years ago. Normally, the homeless are primarily mentally ill and drug addicts/alcoholics. In Florida currently, we've had some turn of events that have changed these figures do to the economy issues. But as the economy strengthens the figures will go back to the originally list.

Healthy people without addiction can work their way through most problems. Its the ones that lack the ability through illness or addiction that don't.

The fact that a percentage of these people are veterans is a sad affair. However, there are programs out their to help them if they really want help. I've worked with some of these programs and they work for people that want to work them.

• 1 decade ago

Kind of disheartening isn't it.

Some of the reason(s) behind this are related to why many people join as the recruiters do a good job selling to those that have no where else to turn and need to get off the street etc...promises of - educational support, roof over the head, food, travel, purpose and a possible career.

If you join simply for the reason that there is no where else to go - the wrong reason to join and unfortunately one of the main selling points.

If you are against what the armed forces stand for IN ADDITION to the RISKS involved, then signing up is really hypocritical. If you think going into it that you will not be sent to kill or be killed- you are not thinking. After you sign, you are their property. Think about it, they look for the cream of the crop for a reason.

Hey - they are now recognizing and addressing the health risks involved with Boxing, Football etc.... dangerous too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Around this time of year, there are collections all over the country for the British Legion where you place a coin in exchange for a poppy, which you wear until Armistice Day on 11th November.

One of the most moving of Anglican services, and one which I still attend every year even after I became a Catholic, is Remembrance. It is set aside for the veterans, to remember their dead, to honour their living colleagues, and to pray that never again will the world have to put soldiers through the hell that was life in the trenches in WW1.

The British Legion was set up at a time when surviving veterans from the trenches were treated abominably, and the collection was there to improve their lot "A Land Fit for Heroes" was the motto.

The second and third in line to the British throne are on active service in the Forces, even though Intelligence say that to send them to the front line in Afghanistan and Iraq would be too dangerous, and put the lives of those around them at risk, since they are too tempting a target. But at least they have an understanding and a sympathy for the common soldier.

• 4 years ago

Bullshit conjured "statistic." Yours is not a question, it is an anti-military rant which I have reported.

Every time I see someone who is homeless and claiming to be a Veteran I engage them in conversation. Of the 13 "Veterans" I have contacted face-to-face only ONE was actually a Veteran - meaning he served more than 180 days in the military.

Two had been booted out in less than six months because they abused drugs...just like they did before they enlisted in the military. They were not Veterans.

I have the VA's Homeless Veteran Hotline toll-free number on my cell phone. Every time I see a homeless "Veteran" I offer them my phone to talk with the Homeless Vet Hotline. In more than 9 out of 10 cases they decline because they ARE NOT Veterans.

Now, take your idiotic, anti-military rant and stick it where the sun doesn't shine...right next to your tiny little head.

Source(s): 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran - Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Officer
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with Rev. I work for a military contractor and work with many X-soldiers/X-marines ... ect. Many of them give the army credit towards their professional development. However, the killing does effect people. War can be hostile. Some people cannot take it.

However, America does respect their soldiers. My father's friend was a Vet from Vietnam. He clearly suffers from post tramatic stress disorder - most likely from the war. He was very poor and picked up cans for a living. A social worker representing vietnam vets found him. With her help, he has health care and a stable job. The government does care and does have programs to help these unfortunate people.

War just sucks that badly. :(

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know you don't want your loved ones to be soldiers...but someone's gotta do it.

The rest of us non-soldiers need to be respectful and helpful to those soldiers in need.

EDIT: I never said that I agreed with the draft. But if someone volunteers--all the more reason to be respectful and helpful.

I have never believed in a draft system for the military.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

And yes, SOMEONE has to be a soldier. Without a military, what protection does a country have?

EDIT: If you were not speaking of a draft, how then can you consider ANYTHING I said "selfish"???

• hi, doc!!

well....after 9/11 a really close friend of mine joined the army. he went back on his third tore a few months ago. i totally agree with you though we treat them like crap. they died & were injured for us to be free. it's sad. oh & about other vets, bruce springsteen (american rock person don't know if you know him) wrote a song about how badly the vietnam veterans were treated when they came back........

lyrics

born down in a dead man's town

the first kick I took was when I hit the ground

you end up like a dog that's been beat too much

'til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]

born in the u.s.a.

born in the u.s.a.

born in the u.s.a.

born in the u.s.a.

i got in a little hometown jam

and so they put a rifle in my hands

sent me off to Vietnam

to go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

come back home to the refinery

hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"

i go down to see the V.A. man

he said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

i had a buddy at Khe Sahn

fighting off the Viet Cong

they're still there, he's all gone

he had a little girl in Saigon

i got a picture of him in her arms

down in the shadow of the penitentiary

out by the gas fires of the refinery

i'm ten years down the road

Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

i'm a long gone daddy in the u.s.a.

born in the u.s.a.

i'm a cool rocking daddy in the u.s.a.

this is one of the most misinterpreted songs ever recorded. everyone thought it was about american pride but once you really listen to the song you can tell it isn't. one of the reasons it so misinterpreted is because of how catchy the music is.

link to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPudiBR15mk

Youtube thumbnail

sorry i when on this music rant type thing i know it doesn't belong here but when you mention how badly the troops are treated it reminded me of the song.i hope you enjoyed your lesson on random sh*t penny lane knows.

bottom line is i agree with you.

Source(s): just give peace a chance. ~john lennon~
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds like a bullshit statistic if I ever heard one. To obtain accurate data, census takers would have to interview a large demographic of homeless people throughout the country, and ask them if they were ever in the army. All they are doing is cherry picking numbers from those who end up in shelters.

When was the last time you saw a census taker talking to bums and bag ladies in the ghetto?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.