What is better, Windows XP or Windows Vista?

I want to switch from Windows XP to Windows Vista but based on different forums, there are still lots of bugs in Vista.

Would it be better if i switch from XP to Vista?

• Tyrus
    Favorite Answer

Regardless of what some say, Vista does not offer extra features or functionality beyond what XP already offers. There are still large numbers of people downgrading from Vista, back to XP. If you have XP and try running Vista on it, your computer and its applications will run a lot slower. If you use the same hardware that people say, "my system run good on Vista" for XP as I have, you will find that XP really flies. What many Vista users forget is they are comparing Vista using hardware that is literally 4 times stronger on a 5 year old computer. All it takes to run XP is 512 MB RAM. That means, if you use an application and have 2 GB RAM, 1.5 GB can go to you application. With Vista it's much less and your apps run slower.

Right now Vista gives XP users no reason to upgrade. XP can run the same software and more efficiently. Most who have XP are waiting for Windows 7 which is suppose to be Vista with all the bugs and platform issues worked out.

In my view,businesses are not upgrading to Vista for a reason. And since Windows 7 will come out in a year or so and your computer is running fine now, it's probably not worth the money. If you want to switch to Vista, all you have to do is ask yourself this question, what does the version of Vista have that XP doesn't have and have someone show you.

I have returned 3 Vista SP1 computers because of Vista. And while Vista has come a long ways, it's still bloated,less efficient and will run your applications slower with your same hardware. I would recommend staying with XP. Most are skipping Vista and waiting for windows 7

I hope that helps you.

• Adziwa

My experience of using Vista is that you need to have at least 2Gb of RAM in your computer and either a dual core processor at 1.7GHz or more or a fast single core processor in excess of 3GHz.

If your computer doesn't have these then Vista will run slowly on your computer - trust me... I bought a laptop with Vista pre-installed... It's got a 1.73GHz dual core processor but only 1GB of RAM - and I had to ditch Vista it was running so slowly. I'm now happily back on XP.

Also a number of programs you have might have compatibility problems with Vista. When the chaps at Microsoft wrote Vista they completely redesigned the way it operated from the 97, 2000, 2002, XP systems and so a number of programs will cause problems - particular ones we had were relating to Outlook 2002, Adobe Pagemaker, iFinger and some other less well known applications that were less important to us.

If you have a computer that previously had XP on it and you haven't upgraded the spec (especially the RAM) then I would suggest you stay with XP. Vista offers nothing more functional from what I could tell except and exciting new and jazzy work interface. Although, to concede, as with all new systems sometimes it takes a little getting used to before you understand the benefits of the new system...

Personally, I'd give it another year or so to allow the other program developers to catch up (and Microsoft to iron out the bugs) before you transition to Vista and even then I'd ensure that all your old programs are compatible or that there are updates that will make them compatible (for instance there is now an iFinger update making it compatible...)

Anyway, good luck...

Well I used to have Windows XP and when I got a new computer it had Vista Home Premium already installed. I must say there are quite a few differences but now that Service Pack 1 has been installed it seems to be running much better and I've never had any serious issues with it.

I Have Vista Ultimate 64 bit (SP 1) .. It's The Best Operating Software I Ever Had.

No Problem with Vista

I would go to a couple reputable computer stores and discuss with the technicians the configuration of your computer and what if any problems you might encounter with the amount of Memory in your computer and what software applications/programs you are running on your computer.

Depending upon the hardware, you may just need to do minor upgrades, in others it may be more costly.

Software: In some cases patches are available for programs so that they will run better with Vista, in some cases you have to get the newest program, and in some cases (for older software) you may not be able to make it work with Vista. A lot of the problems are being resolved, and all of the ones that you would have encountered in the past may be resolved.

stick with XP I went to vista and changed back to XP vista has so many problems its not funny, I think everyone who bought vista should of got a refund with an apology.

well, check first your computer specs if it could carry Vista, otherwise just use XP for the meantime, as there are other drivers and softwares not compatible w/ vista...

but if u really want vista, go ahead, as long as your specs are ok with it and wont make your pc or laptop slow. and if you worry about the drivers compatibility, you can just download them in the internet.

Source(s): xp & vista user here

stick with xp for a while... just like when everyone switched from windows 98 to me, and me basically blew. stay with what works until most of the bugs are fixed.

I might suggest using windows xp professional rather than home edition or media center edition.

also you cannot always believe what you here about software, but it is safe to follow if it aint broke don't fix it. sure upgrade eventually, but i would advise waiting.

vista is far better than xp and far less problems than xp> but needs 2gb ram to run good

i think that windows vista is better and alot quicker.Im telling the truth because i have one.