Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 1 decade ago

Railroad crossing safety question?

When approaching crossings that have nothing but signs (meaning no gates, no lights, etc.), what should I do?

Update:

Rango and Rasta Bob both have the lengthiest and best answers. I'm going to put this to a vote.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Stop. Not always an option these days with traffic the way it is in most areas. If you do stop for a passing train, stop as far back from the tracks as possible. Lading can fall off the train or it can derail at any time. Allowing some distance may keep something very nasty out of your lap.

Look. Not a quick glance, either. A quick look gets people dead.

Listen. Of course this means turning off the music and rolling down the window. This is especially important in inclement weather and even more so in snow storms. The locomotive whistles (horns) plug up with snow very quickly and may fail to operate properly or not at all. This is another good reason to look.

Finally, make no distinction between grade crossings that are protected with gates, lights and bells and those which are not. Many people erroneously believe that this protection is fail-safe. It is NOT. Yes, there is battery back up for an eventual power outage, but there are other conditions that can arise that will render the protection inoperative.

So I'll echo what Rango said. Stop, look and listen each and every time you must cross ANY railroad tracks for a guaranteed safe crossing.

To do less is to gamble your life...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the absolute safest is

stop

look

listen

if visibility is unlimited for a long distance in BOTH directions, most people dont bother stopping, including me.

Just realize that the only one that can keep you from getting hit is you.

Here is somethign to think about, crossing lights are man-made devices.

No matter how well they are made, the can, and WILL fail.

Treat every crossing as an unprotected corssing, if you do this, each and every time, I guarantee you wont get hit by a train.

Incredibly simple, it is rather a sad commentary that crossing gates and lights are required at all.

People should be aware enough of their surroundings that they are not necessary but we all know that's not the case.

Good question.

Source(s): railroad engineer
  • 3 years ago

end! And seem the two procedures. In in the present day's worldwide, with AC, radio, cellular telephones, each and all the audio in automobiles, an coming near practice is probably not audible. till now AC, abode windows have been open, different than in wintry climate, and the noise replaced into audible. Engineers are required to blast their air horns on coming near a crossing. It basically takes one to miss that, on a similar time a motor vehicle is coming near the tracks. could 30-40 5 seconds postpone violate some great plan of yours?

• 1 decade ago

Stop, look, listen. If you're certain there isn't a train coming - and if there is, it will announce its arrival with long blasts on the horn - then proceed.

Don't just drive across without looking. Scores of people get killed every year by the train they didn't see.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Always stop at these intersections or slow down a lot. Look both ways and if no train then go through. Pretty much these should be treated as a four way stop.

• you should look left and right and opposite side also and after having fully satisfied that there is clear view you cross it safely.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Use your best intuition, If you dont, you die

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.