What is with the percentage of african americans voting for obama?

I'm not trying to be racist at all here, but in the paper yesterday in the Houston Chronicle they had a poll which showed who was voting for who based on ethnicity, income, education etc... Keep in mind this is in Harris County (Houston), Texas, which is almost always dominated by conservatives.

Anyway in the poll it showed these numbers...

Whites - 66% McCain and 32% Obama (the numbers were pretty much the same for the last election - Bush in McCains spot and Kerry in Obamas)

African Americans - 1% McCain and 98% Obama

I know african americans traditionally vote for the Democratic party, but seriously 98% to 1%? But Come On! they can't all have the same political opinions.

i understand that many polls are different this one was for Harris county so both are right, the ratio 98-1 kind of shocked me though

Favorite Answer

Depending on what poll you read, Kerry got anywhere between 88% and 92% of the black vote during a time of war. Clinton got about 95% of the black vote for both terms. I've read conflicting percentages regarding black support of Obama but, even if we go with your number and the lowest number of support for Kerry, that's still only a 10% difference. Negligible really, particularly in a state like TX. It's also negated by the fact that I'm sure about 10% of those supporting McCain are doing so because his opponent is black. I'm sure the overtones of the rallies aren't helping McCain re minority support either. Blacks are only 12% of the population including everyone who is too young or ineligable to vote and can't elect a president on their own anyway.

I do not know the percent of black individuals who voted for Obama, however so much of them who might vote did. Not like their vote could have driven him to the winners circle due to the fact that statistically America is made from -five% Asian American -thirteen% African American -15% Latino American and 74p.cWhite American So just about white individuals love him simply up to the minorities.

People like to imagine that America has moved on and is no longer a nation based on race, but it is, for the most part. What is a more interesting question is this: Are they racists for voting for Obama? Am I a racist for voting for McCain?

• jo

Oh yes, they can all have the same political opinion. Bush/Republicans have done a bad job as President for ALL of the people. African American soldiers died in Iraq, African Americans lost money in their 401Ks, and African Americans lost jobs due to Bush's policies.

By the way, many people who haven't voted before are now registered and will vote. They are inspired by the possibility of change for the better. That fact increases the numbers of Democrats who will vote for Obama.

Why do you care now? Just so you can say, they are voting for Obama because he is Black. Yeah I gotcha. The election is not over yet and already you are looking for blame.

• isl247

High 90s, but african-americans have traditionally voted very heavily democrat. But your white split is way off. It's much closer to 50/50.

In the primaries 92%. In general election I think 98%!

At least 90%. Blacks vote for the Dem 9 to 1 in presidential elections. No surprise there.

• C J

Believe it or not... that is how African Americans vote, it is the most stable democratic voting base.

Until this election, white candidates got 100% of the black vote. Did it bother you then?

They're not really voting for Obama they're voting for the color of his skin. Not a blanket statement, I have no doubt that some of the voters are actually making a informed choice, but most are ignorant. That goes for Republicans and democrats.

All I'm saying is make a informed choice, skin color doesn't mean anything.