Matt asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

Think the stock market has hit bottom yet?

Basically I am thinking about buying Proctor and Gamble and maybe some other companies that produce stables, that way even in a recession the products will be used and the stocks should not lose to much value.

Favorite Answer

I've heard that there are many hedge funds that are so far under water that they have no choice but to liquidate their holdings (i.e., sell their stocks, bonds, unwind their positions, etc.). If and when that happens (before the fiscal year is over, or before the Nov. 15 deadline for many hedge funds), you can expect more downward pressure on the markets.

Also, don't forget that many investors will seek to lock in tax losses by selling losing stocks at a loss to capture a capital loss for the tax year. Again, this will happen before the year is over. In short, I do NOT think the market has hit bottom. Keep your powder dry, things could get ugly before the year is over, but depressed conditions should provide some good buying opportunities for quality stocks like Procter and Gamble.

No. There are 3 issues affecting the inventory industry dazzling now that are it is summer season (low quantity which creates wilder swings), a foul economic gadget (actual great while in comparison with the the remainder of the international) and an election twelve months which motives human beings to pull their funds and look ahead to an part (supposedly Republican and Democratic presidents make different shares bypass up and down extra beneficial than if the different party replaced into in potential). Economists say the economic gadget will in all danger get better next twelve months and of course January (a traditionally great month for bulls) and a sparkling president will come on board and reason human beings to place funds into those "party" shares.

i hope not. the stocks aren't cheap enough for me to be able to buy the ones i want. still hoping for it to keep dropping. the lower it goes the more of a stock i can buy.

i think it is going to bottom out around 7000 then turn around and go straight to 10,000 then slowly return to 14,000.

I look at it this way.

today there was a sale on stocks it is a two fer sale or a 50% off sale and some of the items on the market are 90% off. no coupons required.

Hit bottom? Doubt it.

One school of thought is to wait until the upswing is confirmed by virtually everything.. That's the safest. You MAY miss a chance by not buying at the bottom, but you WILL miss the down swings.

That said, PG is exactly the type of stock to buy now. Good defensive stocks, like PG, are the best bet now.

I also like GE, JNJ, KFT, MO.

If your horizon is long-term (that is, you're a long-term investor), then you don't have to try to hit the bottom exactly. All you need is some confidence that there's a reasonable expectation of good rewards from investing now, given that you don't anticipate selling for a long time. People try to time the market exactly, but in my experience, and in studies, even people that think they can time the market don't do very well at that.

I am buying slowly and gradually now myself.

You'll know it has when you see a huge fall. When it turns back up, it will be hot, fast, but short-lived. I expect it to fall again in 2009.

The answer, then, is to keep in cash, keep your powder dry, and watch the market closely for signs things are turning. I have a lot of respect for Carter Worth as a chartist, and he thinks we're very near to a big upturn. I don't know if that is true. I do know he has been a very reliable prognosticator

You sound as if you are approaching this in a very logical and rational way. However, the stock market is anything but logical and rational.

(Never invest more in the stock market than you can afford to lose.)

What will cause a bottom for the market

A bottom is established when equilibrium is reached and the bleeding is stopped. In the past that was based on economic cycles and plain ole economics 101. All this is changed now...

It has definitely not hit bottom yet, there are way too many things that are happening in the market and will be happening that will make the market to continue to drop. How far no one knows but we could see way below 7000 before any major moves begin.

no, definitely not. Most top speculators are predicting the stock market will hit its lowest point sometime in 2010. After that stock markets should rise again to natural level.