I need help on facts about a 2001 Nissan Sentra swirl control valve?

What is a swirl control valve, what does it do, what is its purpose, and where is it located... This is about a 2001 Nissan Sentra

Favorite Answer

The intake manifold houses a swirl control valve in each passage way of each cylinder. During idling and low engine speed, the valve closes to increase the velocity of airflow to each cylinder. This also promotes fuel vaporization and produces a swirl in the combustion chamber.

Source(s): Certified Nissan Technician

I, too, have an '04 Sentra and the check engine light would come on, stay on for a week or so and then go out--only to recur a week or so later. My car had a code 1138. Took it to the Nissan dealer's service dept. They told me that the Swirl Control Valve was bad and that replacing it required replacing the intake manifold, as it is integrated into the manifold. The good news was that it was covered under either the Emission Controls Warranty or the Powertrain Warranty, which is longer than the 3yrs/36K general warranty. The Swirl Control Valve is an emission control part, but, since it is integrated into the intake manifold, I don't know which warranty they covered it under. If you call Nissan USA headquarters, they will tell you if the warranty is still in effect at 66K miles or not--and I'm sure they could tell you which warranty, if either, applies. Hope you're still covered, as it isn't a cheap repair.

Swirl control is variable intake system in harmony with the 1.8 liter motor variable intake valve timing smooths out the power output. Located on the passengers side of the intake manifold. Swirl (codes) are caused by incorrect voltage to the computer from the swirl valve vacuum valve. Wires or connections or solenoid valve it self. Good job Randall

Source(s): Nissan master Tech