Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 1 decade ago

Keep the Electoral College? Yes? No?

Do you think we should keep the electoral college or get rid of it? Just answer yes or no. It's a simple question. You get 3 points just for answering. I need to do it for my homework. THANKS!

Best Answer

Yes.

It is still a very valuable, if not often misunderstood, institution and part of the process.

No, one person, one vote.

To the people that say it should remain because a small geographic regoin would dominate the country - that's simply not true. Each and every person's vote would matter exactly equally, as opposed to right now, where someone in Wyoming has a much bigger vote than I do. I fail to see how each person getting an exactly equal say is bad. If that means that urban areas dominate the political process - well, if that's where most of the people are, so be it.

Furthermore, right NOW our national elections are dominate by small regions - Florida and Ohio choose the President and get all the attention every time, the rest of the country gets divided up and written off by each side.

No, we gotta get rid of it. Not only does it disenfranchise people, but it keeps people from voting if they live in a state that usually swings the other way!

Yes. We are the United States. Not just the Boston-Washington and San Francisco-San Diego population corridors.

Yes.

• Coasty

Yes.

Yes.

It gives small states a voice that they would not otherwise have.

And you get 2 points for answering.

Yes, it prevents a few states from enforcing their interests on the rest of the country.

• JenVT

No, I think it should be based on the popular vote. Then everyone has a voice.

Ask me after November 4th.