I'm aged 61. I've been a computer programmer (BIG computers) for many years.?

What causes me to be flummoxed is the new technology. I would enjoy starting my own wedsite/url, but I'm lost. Is there anywhere on

the Internet that offers a step-by-step walk through for doing this?

Favorite Answer

Join the club! I am 60+ too, and I worked on main frames as well!

You must have some serious experience in programming, so learning a new language should not be a problem.

I would assume that you have at least some knowledge of C. (Cobol is a bit out of date!) This will give you a good start for Php and mySQL.

Don't bother with free web hosts: you'll be more frustrated than happy.

By a domain, rent a LAMP server (less than 100$/year: you can afford that, even on your pension).

Then, you have two options:

- You use a WYSIWYG software, like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, and design a small website (Warning: this will inevitably lead to a dead end when you will want to do something clever)

- You use a classic Notepad++ (free download) to write your codes: the world is your oyster!

You need two serious helpers: www.w3schools.com and www.php.net.

Start with w3s: a lot of examples there, and good guidance. Go for "learning HTML" first. Experiment.

Add javascript. Experiment

Soon, you will be ready for more!

Good luck and remember: a lot of us here are here to help.

Source(s): Pro web2 application developer at www.web2coders.com

I would recommend a hands-on approach. Get you an older (but not too old) computer and install Ubuntu Linux on it. Web pages are like using a file server on a network.

google

setting up a ubuntu server

If you are admin on your own home server, it won't be long at all before you can connect the server to an ISP to be a web page server. If you can, another Linux box networked to your home server.

Ubuntu has a user forum of worldwide, friendly advisors.

There are a number of good websites with simple tutorials. I would start at Lynda.com for $25 per month and unlimited access to all HTML, CSS, and other web-based programming language video tutorials. Also, another great site is CommunityMX.com. they have some free templates to get you started and a great forum with tons of tutorials by the experts. JR

Source(s): Lynda.com - http://www.lynda.com/ CommunityMX - http://www.communitymx.com/