fuzzles! asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

can someone tell me how 'education' has changed since 1935. ?

i know that kids didnt have to go and that u couldnt go if u had to help with work at home. but i need moreeee. i cant find any good websites for this.

Favorite Answer

Actually, you're assumption is incorrect... compulsory education laws in the USA started with Massachusetts in 1825, and by 1918, every state required students to at least complete elementary school.

An example would be Oregon's "The Compulsory Education Act" of 1922, prior to amendment, had required all Oregon children between eight and sixteen years of age to attend public school. There were several exceptions incorporated in this Act:

Children who were mentally or physically unable to attend school

Children who had graduated from eighth grade

Children living more than a specified distance by road from the nearest school

Children being home-schooled or tutored (subject to monitoring by the local school district)

Children attending a state-recognized private school

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_v._Society_of_... )

The SCHOOL year in rural areas WOULD often take into account the PLANTING & HARVEST seasons, and make allowances in their schedule, but you STILL went to school.

My FATHER had to go to school in Montana... from 1934-1946 (High School was mandatory in Montana), and twice each year they had a week off to plant and harvest wheat.

OTHER changes... in 1935 most schools still had corporal punishment: A teacher or principal could SPANK miscreants

Here some other sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_...

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=23149656

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=100591148

Source(s): US History Professor & Grumpy Old Grandpa

When I used to be a child we had Rough Collies and a terrier combine. Our puppies lived to be 14 to sixteen years, the terrier lived to be nearly 19. We took our puppies to the vet probably each different 12 months and acquired most effective the fundamental pictures like rabies and distemper, we didn't do tooth cleansing (now not certain if it used to be even to be had then) our puppies weren't constant however they weren't allowed to roam both. We by no means purchased puppy meals whilst I used to be a child, my father labored in a restaurant as a chef so he introduced residence tons of one-of-a-kind forms of bones and tons of scraps and that in conjunction with a few of our leftovers used to be fed to the puppies. The puppies additionally didn't devour day-to-day, a few days all they acquired used to be a bone to bite on. Our puppies did spend plenty of time within the residence however as youngsters we had the puppies external for the duration of the day gambling and going for walks round with us. They slept within, if we might get them to come back in. The collies desired being external whilst the elements used to be hot on account that it used to be cooler, we didn't have air con. Our puppies had been consistently healthful and whilst they acquired older they didn't appear to have the issues trendy puppies have. When I grew to become an grownup I did the entire matters you're feel to do and I ended up with puppies that had allergic reactions and different wellbeing issues. I use to take my puppies to the vet 2x a 12 months, supply them heartworm and flea preventatives however after wasting a puppy to flea preventatives I don't supply the ones anymore. I did tons of study and located that healthful puppies with uncompromised immune tactics don't most likely agreement heartworm ailment so now I most effective scan for it. I additionally most effective vaccinate for rabies each 3 years on account that it's required by way of regulation and I feed a uncooked vitamin. Now my puppies have a sparkly coat, are healthful and their tooth are white. After having such a lot of issues within the opening with my puppies I concept approximately the variations and determined to elevate them the best way we raised puppies whilst I used to be a child. It is operating for me. The most effective matters I can see that experience modified is using puppy meals and vaccinations. People additionally discovered again then that a puppy used to be a puppy, at present men and women deal with their puppies like hairy youngsters.