How would you describe your favorite singer's voice?

NPR is doing a series called Vocal Impressions. They suggest a variety of different well-known people and then ask people write in and describe their voices.

For example, Morgan Freeman’s voice was described as “hash browns grilled in olive oil.” Marilyn Monroe was “the slow folding and unfolding of a pink cashmere sweater.” And Truman Capote’s famous voice is described as “the little boy who didn't get the pony he wanted.”

How would you describe your favorite singer's?

Best Answer

A broken whiskey bottle lying in the gutter being eyed forlornly by a drunk.

The voice of Lemmy.

EDIT: Yo it took me a second, I was like, "wait, why does Eleanna A think I'm god?" But them I got it. I'm hip.

First of All, I have 2 favorite singers.

Male: Rob Thomas.

Description- Clear, opening, and welcoming with a little harsh-seeming "weather" thrown in.

Female: Alanis Morisette

Description- Happy, cruel, and like a little girl begging her mom for a lollipop and if she doesnt get one she will kill somebody.

I love them both just the same.

When I said those, "mean" things, I meant them in the best way possible.

Deep, resonating, cavernous.

"I was born like this, I had no choice

I was born with the gift of a golden voice"

- Leonard Cohen

My favorite description of someone's voice that I've read though, was of Tom Waits.

"Like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car."

Daniel Johns' voice sounds like lightly seasoned vegetables pan fried with extra virgin olive oil, put on the side of creamy tomato Alfredo penne and garnished with a sprig of parsley.

wtf?

haha

Source(s): It's actually kind of nasally but in a good way. He can sing falsetto, it's amazing.

He has a somewhat high pitched and somewhat soft voice.

Maynard James Keenan - Singer of A Perfect Circle

Billy Corgan.

People think hes whiny and nasaly.

But he has the most amazing voice to me<3:)

• Nertle

'Like a donkey choking on a waffle'.

I'm quoting Omar Rodriguez-Lopez when asked about their sound, and I think that fits Cedric Bixler Zavala perfectly!

(The Mars Volta)

• Axl Rose

grating cheeses on a cheese grater

at parts it can be really rough and hard and scratchy but once you get to the middle its all smooth but still has a hardness to it =]

Haha,Jimmy Jazz is GOD.

Peter Murphy: Work of art with a minimum of steel(that's actually a lyric in one of Bauhaus' songs,Silent Hedges)

sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YMwFppdJg4

Youtube thumbnail

edit: Haha...I really liked your description of Lemmy's voice and all,yeah=D

• To me intoxicating. I would describe Matthew Bellamy's voice as intoxicating because when I hear him sing I get chills. I love his voice it's very soothing and passionate.