Where was God in the holocaust?

Can you explain how a religious believer might defend God in the Question "Where was God in the holocaust?"

Thanks x

Im not against god or anything.

Jeesum. Its my R.E homework!!

Favorite Answer

He was in heaven, watching it happen. He didn't want to intervene because he lets us be. If he interfered physically every time something was wrong we wouldn't have free will.

• Feivel

I am Jewish. My family is from Eastern Europe and I lost family in the holocaust but yet I am a religious Jew.

G-d was with the people in the holocaust. G-d did not cause the holocaust. Man did. Man has free will and the Nazi's chose evil over good. G-d finds the free will he gave man to be very important. Yes, G-d could intervene all the time but then we are nothing more than mice in a maze.

Some people did turn away from G-d in the holocaust but some had their religious views increase and become more Orthodox.

Man was the reason for the holocaust. Apathetic men looked away while evil men were allowed to be evil. Man was the reason the Nazi's were brought to justice. Good men saw what happend in the camps and knew those actions must not go unpunished.

I once knew someone who asked a Rabbi in my Yeshiva that very thing. We must have been about 10 or so. The Rabbi answered simply "Weeping over the choices men made". That made sense to me then and in a way it does now. It may be simplistic but it sums it up in a sentence for me.

God is the same yesterday, today and forever. When Israel turned their backs on God before, he allowed many things to happen to them. They were under Egypt's Pharaohs for 400 years. He has let them reap the benefits that they have deserved, and then after much adversity, he saves them and lifts them up again. I am not saying that they deserved anything they got, what I am saying is, when you remove a true relationship with our Lord and Savior and want your own free will, he will let you have it. For the absence of God is true evil. The same goes for the school shootings and similar acts of violence happening recently. Parents and the government want God to be removed from the schools, yet when something bad happens, those same individuals are the ones who point the finger and ask where was God when this happened. Well, you are the ones who asked that he be removed.

> Can you explain how a religious believer might defend God in the Question "Where was God in the holocaust?"

Absolutely not. Anyone who was a Jew after WWII was not paying attention.

I actually became agnostic for many years, because of the holocaust, and also blamed a sterile God, I could not, and would not attempt to speak for those that suffered this brutal inhumanity, but I had an Uncle who was a doctor, he survived the holocaust, but lost his beautiful wife , his children, his Mother and Father, and cousins, uncles and aunts, he went to England after, and then had to study English, he had distinction as a doctor, but later suffering nightmares, placed his head in a gas oven , committing suicide, much later in life, my perception of what constituted God and spiritual love, respect for life, compassion, and charity, change my mind, I now know that if Hitler and society, had a respect for life within a higher spiritual context it could have been different, it was because the perpetrators were not connected to God, we have free choice, when I talk of spiritual love, I am not referring to religion, My God is the beginning energy and source of the total. my highest soul consciousness is a connection to the total, because all existence is truth.

It is absolutely stupid to blame God for every little thing that goes wrong in this world.

Yes God could have stopped it but that would have made Him unjust and He'd have taken away free will.

It was the will of the Germans to kill the Jews, and yes it was I believe one of the worst things that has ever happened on Earth.

But what God did do was send other countries to fight against Hitler and allow them to win. And no God didn't force those countries.

You could ask, where is God when the U.S.A illegally invaded and raped Iraq in 2003. The same place, God is everywhere and watching everything.

The holocaust was done by fanatics and involved a man-made genocide, same as the Iraq war.

If a person kicks a person in the street, we hold that attacker as the guilty one as he is responsible for his/her own deeds.

God is good, and has no resemblance to evil

Maybe it was like in the film "Bruce Almighty", and he used his computer to control the prayers but it crashed and blew up and then well, it took him a while to buy a new one.

Religious people would probably talk about the whole "free will" thing. But y'know. I find that ridiculous, which is why Im an atheist :D

Each to their own, I guess =/

The god of this world who is the devil was right there, we gave dominion of this world to the devil in the garden, however Jesus took that dominion back on the cross in the Spirit and if people had God they are with Him now in a much better place than this world.

• Fuzzy

Why do you involve him in our own debacles?

Man left God, rebelled against him, and were granted self rule. Now you try to blame God every time some human, yourself included, does something that is evil.

If God were to do something about every single time this was needed, you would now be dead because you are blaming him for our mistakes and sins.

------------------

Man's self rule was granted exactly for this purpose: namely, to demonstrate that man does not deserve it; this Hitler's and many other regimes by men have adequately proved.

The fact that the ecosystems, the global warming is going to destroy the earths biosphere also is part of this package.

------------

What you see now in the economic troubles that are happening globally, is part of the initializing of the biblical Great Tribulation. It shall be followed by Armageddon.

These two biblical events shall cleanse the world of all wicked men. So, where is God. He is coming NOW.

Get ready to meet you maker! He shall not meet anyone unrighteous or wicked kindly. His Christ is mounting his white horse as we speak, and soon you will see millions of dead world wide from the final destruction of the wicked world we live in.

Only the righteous, and the ones with faith shall be saved. Does this make you happy.

God is coming now. Get ready to meet you maker -- look around. It is beginning already.

Many of the Man-Made disasters give God a bad name.

Nazi's had that small voice of their conscience call to them, but they ignored it to continue the slaughter.

And what of other disasters waiting to happen today?

Real estate is still sold on the fault line in California. Is it greed that keeps people living there?

People lived by beach resorts in tsunami or Earthquake effected areas, and then blame God when nature takes it's course.

Try this:

1/ Cover your hips to the thighs with bandages like an Egyptian mummy

2/ Eating laxatives

3/ Do you blame God or the idiot that tried to defy nature and their conscience when things get messy?

God loves us, and He feels more pain than we do when he sees us hurting ourselves or others.

He tries to speak to our conscience, but it is up to Mankind (and womankind) to listen.

Source(s): In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up. Martin Niemoeller (1892-1984) German Protestant Clergyman