What is the minimum amount of electricity required for a shock?

I want to know so as to make a device to give people a minor shock.

For instance, what v of battery would I need to give someone a bit of an unpleasent tingle?

Favorite Answer

You can make a simple 'shock' device using a typical step down transformer like you'd find in a consumer electronics power supply. Simply wire a 9 volt battery and a momentary switch to the output side of the transformer. When the switch is pressed and released, the voltage will be stepped up by the transformer and deliver a single high-voltage jolt across the input winding. It can be beefed up with the addition of a capacitor. Great fun.

Edit: Direct current (from a battery) is a different thing from alternating current (wall outlet). 110 volts from an outlet is way past a tingle and the available current can hurt a person. But, you can let it go. The same voltage DC is very dangerous since your muscles will contract and you will not be able to easily let go. Varying conditions of the skin contact with the electrodes can dramatically effect the amount of current a person will draw. Playing around with pure DC (a bunch of batteries in series) is not safe.

Construct the device I described and you can experiment to see what single pulses of various voltages are like. You are unlikely to hurt yourself with such a device.

Basically you need is lots of voltage, but a minimum amount of current. I am an electrician and I have a nice scar on my hand from 240 volts. But I have been zapped with 500 volts and do not have any marks. So you just need to find a device that will produce the voltage but not the current. Such as pizzo (I think that is the word) electric.

Are you the "child" to be supported, or is your mother helping you support a child whom you gave birth to? Your reference to the "child support card" wasn't clear. Either way, if you can possibly stay in high school until you graduate, that diploma will be your entry to many, many better jobs than you could get without one. The tone of your letter shows that you're not yet ready to go out into the wide world by yourself. Be glad for the food, clothing, and shelter you get by living with your mom. Don't try to grab every buck you can from her. Make plans for a decent permanent future, and work toward that. Yeah, yeah, it sounds dreary and so far into the future that it's almost impossible to imagine. But picture where you want to be four or five years from now, and figure out the most effective ways to get there. Otherwise you'll just stay stuck in the unpleasant situation you're in right now, because the one and only person who's going to wave a magic wand and get you out of it is -- yourself. This answer won't get chosen as "Best", because it sounds cold-hearted. But read it anyway, and think it over.