Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

what is the best way to prepare for MBA?

Favorite Answer

There are many aspects of preparation for an MBA program. What you focus on will depend on your individual strengths and experiences. First you should know what an MBA is, how to choose a good program, then what knowledge and skills will be needed to start.

Basically an MBA program surveys the functional areas of business organizations (e.g., accounting, finance, marketing, management, and sometimes related areas such as operations/ supply chain, IT, and economics) to produce a generalist capable of mid-level management in a variety of areas. Entrants to MBA programs are usually classified as "career changers" (looking to qualify for or explore new fields) or "career enhancers" (advance in their current job or field), and some programs are better for one than the other. A big part of good MBA programs occurs outside of the classroom - a full-time paid internship with a company, usually over the summer, which provides valuable experience and possibly a full-time job offer after graduation.

Choosing an MBA program should be based on its reputation and job placement, with convenience and cost as relatively minor factors (because a part-time low-cost program may not be as valuable to employers, a critical factor especially for career changers). Some programs are known for finance, others for HR, accounting, or more specialized areas like real estate or international business. Companies recruit from specific programs for specific types of jobs, so make sure you know where graduates are placed and how much help the school gives in this placement.

Traditional US programs are 2 years, with a summer in between. Some accelerated programs (& increasingly those in Europe) are 14 months. Accelerated programs don't have the full-time internship period, which also can be critical for career changers.

In the MBA program, students will study business (and often public or non-profit sector) cases, which are story-like illustrations of business problems with supporting documentation and often multiple possible solutions. The idea is to help students to learn to think like managers and to make informed decisions. This necessitates understanding of each functional area in organizations and how they interrelate in providing goods and services to consumers.

In prepping for an MBA program, I would read the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times to get an idea of the important issues facing businesses - asking the why and how questions of managerial action, not just the high-levels parts that make the news. I'd also read a book like "The Portable MBA" to give me a basic overview of areas I'll be studying. I certainly would try to speak to current and recently graduated MBA students from various schools to get an idea of their experience. Finally, I'd brush up on my basic math, logic, writing, and public speaking skills. While you don't need much higher math for most programs, algebra and basic calculus are definitely useful, as is comfort with basic statistical concepts.

While in the program, I'd focus on a few things:

1) doing good work in class to impress professors who later may be writing your references, using their contacts to help with jobs, or as valuable sources of info once you are on the job

2) networking with your peers, especially those who are interested in similar industries, locations, or companies. This is one of the most valuable aspects of the program; many of these people may form the basis of your professional networks for the rest of your career

3) proactively seeking internships and jobs: make your interests known to the career center and professors, research companies that you may be interested in, contact managers (not just HR) at companies to have an "informational interview" -- offer to buy them lunch and talk about their field, career, or company ~without~ asking them for a job

4) balancing the social aspects of the MBA program with job-directed efforts. Obviously much of this can coincide, but if you are a natural social gadfly be careful of overdoing the social at the expense of the professional.

That may seem like a lot, but it's only a start. Best of luck!

Source(s): I worked several years as a consultant and am now a business professor

Hi, What do you mean by best way to prepare for an MBA???? Are you a graduate? It all depends on what degree you are holding at the moment. You then need to give certain entrance examination like cAT, SNAP.....if you require any further information get in touch with me on 2613 3344 or definately you can mail me.

Source(s): www.careerlauncher.com

The best way is to do a BBA.