sincere2681 asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

why is everybody abandoning the kelly pavlik bandwagon?

yes, we all saw bhop totally dominate him a couple of weeks ago, he is not the first premier top ranked fighter that hopkins(who i hate by the way) has dominated. pavlik is a very good very young boxer with a good future in the sport at 160, 168 or maybe even 175. i dont understand why i hear so many people calling him a bum, no, he just got beat by one of the all time greats of the sport(who i happen to hate).

hey lukeh, check your facts. how can you say that pavlik didnt look good against taylor, he ko'd him in their first fight and beat him for twelve rounds in their second fight, stupid!!!!

Favorite Answer

I honestly don't get the fact that all of a boxer's friends, crew, hangers-on, whatever you want to call them, are all bigging their guy up when he keeps winning, yet as soon as he loses, most, if not all of them desert him. It's fickle, and as if loyalty doesn't exixt to those people. Michael Moore was exactly the same. He had a load of guys around him. And then he got beat by George Foreman, and the only 2 people left with him where Teddy Atlas and MM's head of security, a guy called Flem.

I personally haven't abandoned Pavlik, as I know he is great for the sport, and will rebound. Hopkins, uncharecteristically, even praised Pavlik after the fight, and told him that the Middleweight division was his destiny. Pavlik, so I heard, went into the fight with Bronchitis, so if that is the case, losing to a future hall of famer in Bernard Hopkins with something as bad as that isn't so bad a deal, even though the loss would have dented his pride somewhat. I have no doubts that Pavlik will be back. As far as future fights go, I hear Paul Williams is moving up, his reason being that he cannot make 147. He blew away Middleweight Andy Kolle in about 95 seconds, and has a fight with Verno Phillips lined up for the IBF Junior Middleweight title. If Pavlike decides to stick around at 160 for maybe another 18 months, a fight between Pavlik and Williams could be massive, and a real boost for the sport. A unification fight with Abraham could be a contender for fight of the year, were it to happen.

I haven't heard anybody abandoning him, I was not surprised when it happened, stating that Pavlik was the perfect opponent for him, Id hoped Pavliks youth and power would be enough to win him some rounds. It was not fair to Pavlik hat he had to fight Hopkins anyways.

He should still be able to dominate the other 160 pounder, Like Margarito Pavlik has no real boxing skill, hes just an overly tall middleweight who uses aggression to force his opponents. There fun to watch but vulnerable to the top elite fighters or other fighters there size. Once they lose there size advantage they become pretty beatable.

I still love Pavlik and look forward to his next fight, hopefully against Arthur Abraham, a guy he should have fought instead of Hopkins. It was a lose lose fight for Pavlik, and he lost big.

I am not jumping off the wagon, i just think its too early in his career to put him against veterans and guys at different higher weightclasses. THe worst thing a puncher could do is move up because hes not as physically big against his opponent, against hopkins he was outweighed by 6 or 7 pounds fight night. At middleweight he would be outweighing his opponenets by 2 or 3 which is a huge difference. Plus with his height advantage at 160 he would be unbeatable. I think he could become one of those hopkins legends that wins 10 or more defenses and unifies the division. I really hope they dont sent him up in weight to fight anyone, unless calzaghe will move down to 168, that i want to see. But if i were his promoters iw ould let him get his confidence back make him defend his titles against the contenders, like Rubio or Ornelas. then to unify the titles against Sylvester(who i think will beat up sturm and take his title) or Arthur Abraham who is a serious threat but i dont think hes tall enough to handle pavlik.

So i would love too see pavlik fight other great fighters at heiigher weight classes but thats how you ruin a career. Stay at 160 and rack up defenses and unify the division and the great wins will come. Look at hopkins he only beat one big name through his first 10-15 defenses Glen Johnson, when he was at the tail end of his career he beat guys like De la hoya, Trinidad, Winky Wright, and Antonio Tarver, and now he is a legend. I would hope pavlik will be like hopkins and do what he has to do and the great fighters will come.

That is how you will see the difference between the real boxing fans and the non boxing fans, Pavlik seemed to be growing a massive fanbase mainly out of Youngstown but all over America and the world as well but you will see who are his true fans now after taking a comprehensive loss against Hopkins, taking this one loss will be a hard thing to take for Kelly who was supposed to beat up on the ageing Hopkins but now he hasnt it will be how he reacts and his fans should stand by him and hope for him to come through this as real fans do, the people who are now abandoning him and calling him things like a bum arent real boxing fans in my eyes they are just hangers on who were hoping on Kelly winning for their reasons and not Kellys. In a way im glad that Pavlik lost as we may well now see a match up between Pavlik and Abrahams which could be one of the best matchups at Middleweight we have seen for years and had Kelly won there was a very slim chance that he would go back and fight Arthur. I really hope Kelly does come through this hard period for him as he is a very exciting fighter to watch.

I am not abandoning Pavlik. He does have some technical flaws that Bhop exposed. If he doesn't fix those flaws no one is gonna have to abandon him......he's gonna get bludgeoned to death. Pavlik stands up to square to his opponent and his footwork has always been horrendous. Bhop is not a power puncher but he knocked Pavlik off balance numerous times because of shoddy footwork. If he fights a Calzage or even Roy Jones Jr. He will get knocked out with those kind of flaws. And the worst person he could possibly fight would be Bad Chad Dawson. Overall, if he works HARD on those things in the gym, he can resume his title reign without much worry.

• Erika

the only reason Pavlik might do nicely is the certainty that this combat is at middleweight, collectively as he fought Bhop at mild heavy. that would desire to make a extensive difference by using fact i think of his skill extremely lies in middleweight and that i think of it extremely is gonna harm Paul williams interior the exchanges. even with the undeniable fact that, it extremely is williams each of how for me. Punch output would be too a lot and Pavlik will provide up resistance via around 9-10. Paul Williams UD sparkling shrink rankings, yet no longer easy.

Pavlik is great at 160. no one needs to jump off of the bandwagon because when he returns to that weight, he'll be fine.

We aren't, you are just a hater. Pavlik just doesn't look good at 170. He didn't look good against Taylor or Hopkins. He will be a great long-time champion at 160.

Mr. Pavlick just needs to work on his footwork and bend his needs. He will be around for a long time. I felt bad for pavlick he was set up by those golden boys. I expect Rubio, Abraham, and then a showdown will Paul Williams for Pavlick in 09. If he does the work and wins he's back in the limelight by next years end.

Pavlik will be back up there soon.