Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is up with this "Russian Federation"? (question continued on "more details")?

During the Olympics, I noticed that the Russian athletes uniforms had been changed to say "Russian Federation", instead of "Russia".

Today, I noticed a map at a store that was made in 2008, and instead of the little countries that split up from the old Soviet Union, the area was shown as one big purple blob, with no boundaries, and the city name "Moscow" was in bold print.

I have heard nothing about this on the news, and I am an avid news reader who stays very closely informed on world issues.

Is the old Soviet Union banding back together under the guise of "The Russian Federation"? What is going on?

Favorite Answer

No. It is a Federation of several republics, including Russia, Chechnya and several others. There is an organization called the Commonwealth of Independent States (C.I.S.) which is made up of several of the former Soviet Socialist Republics. They have their own international sports teams as well in the Olympics and other competitions.

The Russian Federation came into being on December 24, 1991 when the Hammer and Sickle flag of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics was hauled down from the flag post at the Kremlin and was replaced by the Tricolor flag of the Russian Federation. That flag is identical to the one used by the First Provisional Republic under Alexander Kerensky in 1917, after the abdication of the Czar and before Kerensky's government was overthrown by Lenin and the Bolsheviks.

No. Russian Federation is to Russia as United States is to America. It's just the official name of the country.

But Putin and Medvedev would LOVE to get the old Soviet Union together again. That's why they invaded Georgia last August.