who can tell me how it is life in venezuela?

Favorite Answer

Life in Venezuela is wonderful. Some things may seem a little awkward, but you get use to it after a while. Arepas were mentioned in a previous answer. This food has took a long time getting use to. Arepas are not bad tasting by any means, they actually have no taste all. Thats why once the shell is firm then you split open the arepa and add what ever topping you want. The thickness is what I don't like about them. Its like a pancake with the thinkness of a barely cooked potato.

The people are very open and welcoming. If your not offered some Whiskey or Polar (most popular light beer in Venezuela) then you will have some food in front of you very shortly. They are a lot more family oriented than here in the U.S. When someone comes over they stop cleaning, or stop their chores, or doing whatever what their doing to socialize or make that person feel welcome.

The beaches are just like what you see in travel magazines, well, most anyway. You have to take a boat to see the eye-popping or "Wow" beaches. The beaches on the shoreline aren't regulated like they are here in the U.S. so you may see overfilled garbage cans or some litter on the beach. My advice, spend the extra 40, 50, 60 BsF and take a boat somewhere.

The best town in Venezuela is Merida. (Hmm, where do I start?) Merida is home to a ice cream shop with the most flavors (over 1000 flavors). The shop is published in the Guiness Book of World Records. The town has the longest and highest cable car in the world, they call it the Telefredrico). It's 7 miles long, has three stops on the way, and elevates over 15,000 ft. They sell hats and gloves at the base. It's highly recommended to buy some unless you enjoy losing body parts from frostbite. Merida has hang gliding, treking adventures, a place called "Venezuela Yesterday" and an indoor mercado (like what you see in other countries where people are selling goods and customer are shoulder to shoulder). Like that except indoors. Plenty of nice Posadas (bed and breakfasts) to stay at. If you drive to Merida, come from the East through Barinas, don't come from the North, just a warning.

I've been going to Venezuela for three years now with my wife who is from there. Next year were heading to El Gran Sabana (The Great Savanah). A desert with tons of waterfalls, spectacular sunsets, and home the Angel Falls (the tallest waterfall in the world).

In a couple years we'll be heading to the Amazon in S. Venezuela. I hear the mosquitos are pretty bad there which leads me into the Sanculos. Sanculos are all over Venezeula, doesn't matter where your at. They are these very tiny black mosquitos that you can barely see or feel. By the time you get an itch on leg their long gone. We always bring lots of Off Lotion when we head down there.

I've mentioned a lot already but there is many other things to do. They have river dophins you can see, some of the largest snakes in the world central part of the country, and of course there is plenty to do in Caracas.

As for money, try to use the black market. The banks screw Americans over and not give you what the dollar is worth. The bank will give you 2.000 Bs for 1 USD. You may run into someone at the airport who will offer you 4.000 Bs for 1 USD. It's good, but dont take it. My wifes friends give us 6.000 Bs for every 1 USD. The currency has changed recently also. There was way too many zeros with their currency so the went from Bs to BsF. For example (6.000 Bs = 6 BsF) To put it simply, they took off the last three zeros.

There is a lot of websites that will list what the black market dollar rate is at the time, but my wife goes to those. Sorry that I couldn't post links below. :( To save for our trips down there one of her friends from Venezula opened a bank account in Miami and we opened an account Venezuela. When we deposit money into his bank account in Miami he will deposit the black market dollar amount in our account in Venezeula. Both parties benefit.

Hope this was helpful. There is probably tons of stuff I missed, but feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to find them.

i feel me confortable... i like my country.. the venezuelan get up very early to go to work... or go to the school. the venezuelan always breakfast AREPAS... and someones eat it at night... we are funnies. and we LOVE parties... we like "GOSSIPS" lol.. we love beaches.. and the worse is the security (only on the shanty-towns). we love salsa.. and merengue.. and COURSE.. WE'RE BEAUTIES! LOL