How do you make the Brown Sauce that Chinese Restaurants serve (for ex over a salmon/vegetable dish)?

There is a delicious brown sauce that my local Chinese Restaurant has - I get it with a roasted salmon and vegetables dish. It's dark brown, very tasty, and it's the sauce that the vegetables are swimming in. Actually, it's a "black bean sauce", but I'd be willing to try a recipe for standard tasty brown sauce... show more There is a delicious brown sauce that my local Chinese Restaurant has - I get it with a roasted salmon and vegetables dish. It's dark brown, very tasty, and it's the sauce that the vegetables are swimming in.

Actually, it's a "black bean sauce", but I'd be willing to try a recipe for standard tasty brown sauce too, if black bean sauce is not easily found.

How can I make this sauce?
Update: No, I"m not talking about soy sauce. What I'm asking about it a medium-thick and tasty brown sauce that comes with some Chinese meals. It's part of the meal - not a sauce you add later. It's the sauce that the vegs are swimming in.