Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship?

The same? Different? Same people? Some of the same people? Different sound? Any connection at all?

This has been confusing me.

Which do you like better, as well?

Update:

Okay... I thought it was something like that but couldn't quite figure it out. Thank you!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Karen
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Jefferson Airplane was the original band, Jefferson Starship was their successor band. All the original members weren't in Jefferson Starship. Some of them left to form Hot Tuna. Grace Slick was in Starship... not sure about which others members though. After Jefferson Starship there was Starship, which consisted of even less original members.

I strongly prefer Jefferson Airplane. Jefferson Starship/ Starship just wasn't the same...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Out of the three incarnations (Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Staship, Starship) I vastly prefer Jefferson Starship. Their late 70's and early 80's work was the best the Band ever did IMO.

• 1 decade ago

Same band. They started out as Jefferson Airplane and changed the name after 2 of the original members left. I like the music that was made popular by Jefferson Starship...especially 'Nothin's Gonna Stop Us'.

• 1 decade ago

Jefferson Starship is an American rock band that was popular in the 1970s and 1980s. It evolved from Jefferson Airplane as Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady decided to focus on Hot Tuna full time and left the Airplane. The rest of the band were joined by Craig Chaquico and Jorma's brother Peter Kaukonen to promote the Grace Slick solo album Manhole and called themselves Jefferson Starship. After the initial tour, Kaukonen left and was replaced by Pete Sears for the first studio album Dragon Fly. The band continued in about the same configuration until late 1978 when Grace Slick, Marty Balin, and John Barbata all left the band under different circumstances. The band redefined their music with more of a hard-rock edge with Aynsley Dunbar and Mickey Thomas joining. In 1984, Paul Kantner left forming KBC Band with former bandmates Balin and Casady. The remaining members renamed themselves Starship, releasing three studio albums before manager Bill Thompson finally dismantled the band in 1990. Kantner began performing again in 1991 with Tim Gorman and Slick Aguilar of the KBC Band, calling themselves "Paul Kantner's Wooden Ships." As the band continued to add more members, Kantner renamed the band Jefferson Starship once again. In September 2008, the band released their latest studio effort Jefferson's Tree of Liberty.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As others have told you already, different bands...I personally prefer Jefferson Airplane, just because it was so different and the quality of music so much better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.