Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

What is a reasonable amount a man should pay in child support for one child?

Right now my fiance is order to pay $515/month for one child. This amount was based on his income when he was living in Florida making a substantial amount of money. He has since moved to Missouri with me and is making half of what he was. Finding a job was very difficult for him and the are garnishing his checks taking 50% to make up for when he was behind. My aunt is an attorney and will be helping him lower the amount and gain legal visitations, but I'm curious as to what others might be paying. I know it's based on the guardian and non-custodial parent's income, but I just wanted to feel out what others are paying. I have a strong opinion about child support. I was a single mom for 2 years and never received a penny in child support and I made it just fine. His ex is money hungry. I don't think it's fair that men should have to compromise their life for 18 years paying the ex half of his income when another man has stepped in as the father taking financial responsibility. I'm not trying to start a debate regarding child support because I know this can be a touchy subject for some. I'm just wanting to see what some of you other men out there are paying per child. Thanks!!

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

It's not about what you think is fair for her.... it's about what is fair for the child. The amount paid takes into factors the cost of running the home where the child lives and the ABILITY of the non-custodial parent to earn enough to maintain the normal environment the child is growing up in.....not what the father now makes or many fathers would give up their jobs for menial wages to avoid paying for their responsibilities. The courts will look at the present wage the father earns but if it is significantly lower than his ability to earn they may just tell him to work two jobs if that is what it takes.

The child didn't ask for their parents to split up and just because the parents can't get along, the child is an innocent victim of their inability to be together. The courts try to consider what is fair and WITHIN the ability of the non-custodial parent to contribute. Just because the father runs away with someone new to a different state does not relinquish the responsibility to PROVIDE for his children. The baggage comes with the man. If that does not fit into your plans for a happy life then find someone else to make a happy life with cause the kids come first.

Source(s): Dad
    • Marcel5 years agoReport

If the father is giving $515 and the mother is giving the child $515 then that's well over what the kid needs. What you mean he not taking care his responsibilities if she clearly said he did. And he was paying he just needed it reduce. Folks kill me.

First of all it depends on the state you live in, and then how much he makes. For example here in New York State it's 17% of the man's income for the first child. My former husband used to work hard and make good money during the Spring, Summer, and Fall, but when Winter came around he would be laid off for the season. He and his ex came to a mutual agreement that when he was laid off the amount would be dropped until he went back to work full time in the Spring and he would make up the difference at that point. I would suggest he try to work out an arrangement with her first. If they can't come to a compromise then it needs to be handled through an attorney, just make sure that child isn't the one getting the short end by either mom or dad. Because in the end that's what this is really about, the child's welfare.

The courts are extremely biased towards men when it comes to child support. They throw all men under the same umbrella, regardless of the circumstances. The problem with child support amounts is they don't take into consideration the financial ability of the father to provide a safe and secure environment for the child, post child support payment. And in most instances, the father gets the shaft on taxes regarding child support, even though the amount is based off of GROSS monthly income. I understand that the laws were created to be so stiff due to dead beat PARENTS (not just dads).

He had a kid and has a responsibility. If you cannot handle the financial end of your relationship then leave. He has a kid to support and you know this now and it will not change. Your aunt should stay out of it. Conflict of interest. Just because your ex was a deadbeat, don't make your new "man" one as well. It's totally fair that they pay for their responsibilities. Remember how mad you get when you realize you baby's father isn't paying you? You can't have it both ways. Maybe this oh so great lawyer aunt can get your child support for your kid? Why not pursue that? Aren't you money hungry as well? You want him to stop paying for the kid he brought into the world yet you are mad your ex didn't pay for your kid. That's pathetic!

• Marcel5 years agoReport

She never said stop supporting she said reduce. $500 is well over enough for a kid. And if the mom is giving to the kid gets $1000. It's not the father job to take care house holds bills because the mom have to pay that with or without the kid. Give money for what the kid needs/want.

• John G

Not paying child support since my wife and I are still together. No one amount will be same for another...just tally up what you spend per month for that particular child and half of that would be a fair amount.

i am a kid im 13 and my mom does recieve child support i think it is like 280 dollars an di have a brother who receives the same as me i feel it isnt enough t pay for lunch and new clothes fo school i like ran out of clothes because i out grew them all so my mom had to use her credit card and go to walmart to buy my clothes she has a job but it is on a dime over minimum wage that is to pay for food and bills

• Marcel5 years agoReport

I don't see an issue because your mom should be assisting. Child support is for the child and kids have two parents so your mom should have gave you 280 as well. Now if you still needed more after that then lies your solution.

Its based on income .However you certainly can lower payments that is a better thing to do.Keeping lines of communication open.

50/50

300$

if he gets some say and control and time etc.. with the child he should pay half of the kids living expenses.