Is Obama a naturalized citzen of the United States or not? Should he prove it before the election?

A leading democrat, Mr. Berg, on the following link says he is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6_k3NtXZs

Youtube thumbnail

38 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

did no one pay attention in 8th grade government class? i'll say it one more time...in order to run for president of the united states a man/woman has to be a natural born citizen!!!!

• 1 decade ago

THE Democratic Natl Comm. has the authority and job of certifying any candidate. There also is a limit on any challenge.. although I do not think they have every run into a nut like Berg before.

Since Obama has already satisfied the above, they are the only persons who have authority. Birth certs are NOT public documents, and an individual has no grounds to demand it. So, in fact, the demand itself is illegal.

Just as YOU don't have to prove to me that you are a licensed driver by showing me your birth certificate...

Obama has nothing to prove to Berg or anyone else.

And... NO. We do not have the "right" to demand someone elses' personal records, even if they are a candidate.

Mr Berg needs to get on psychiatric medication.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sen. Obama is a natural born citizen of the United States in any way that the term could possibly be interpreted. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1961 - Hawaii had been a state since 1959.

Whether or not John McCain is a "natural born citizen" is a bit more difficult. McCain was not born in the United States. He was born in 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone (though some have suggested that he was actually born in Panama itself, since the hospital in which he would have been born was not built until 1941). At the time, the Panama Canal Zone was a territory controlled by the United States. In 1953 the US Congress granted citizenship to those born in the Canal Zone with at least one parent who is a US citizen. The McCain family had already moved to Virginia in 1951, though whether McCain was "naturalized" at some point is not clear (he has refused to produce any sort of birth certificate, birth record, or documentation). That Sen. McCain is a US citizen is without question. That he was born to American parents is also without question. There also doesn't seem to be any reason to question whether Sen. McCain has been an American citizen since his birth.

The problem is that the constitutional requirement that the US President be a "natural born citizen" has never been legally defined. Until it is, it will be impossible to say whether Sen. McCain meets the criteria.

• 1 decade ago

look, everyone is freaking out about obama, WHAT HAS HE DONE WRONG? are u just racist? do u not trust him cause he his father was muslim? the man and his family have gone through excruciatingly thorough searches and he has passed in every way. He was BORN in hawaii, thats part of the US. if u wanna worry about someone worry about palin, she's a real wacko that no one knows anythign about + if u rly wanna learn about a candidate go to their websites dont listen to what others have to say

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

He is not naturalized. He was a citizen from birth as he was born in Hawaii.

Do you even know what naturalized means?

Oh, and by the way, Philip Berg is most certainly NOT a "leading Democrat."

He did however sue the US government claiming it was behind the 9/11 attacks.

He is a nut case.

• 1 decade ago

I believe he should, it's a prerequisite for the office. He needs to prove many other things as well, why showing his birth certificate is such a problem leads to many questions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You think Berg is a leading democrat? Do you have ANY reason for believing this? Because I think Berg is a crazy person.

Obama already proved that he was born in Hawaii. If it's not good enough for you, no one cares.

• 1 decade ago

Ummmm...he was born in Hawaii. Hawaii IS part of the United States the last I checked. He is a United States senator....so, yes, he is a U.S. citizen. Period.

• 1 decade ago

obviously he has or he couldn't have run in the first place, also I have a feeling this video was completely false because they only had one person. You can't hear the other point of view. so in short most likely he is a natural born citizen

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, even if he were a naturalized citizen, it would still make him ineligible to run, you must be born in America, and yes, any military base or Us Embassy is still considered US soil, so McCain was born in US.

You need to be a US citizen, born in the US, not naturalized.

But I digress, he could shut you up, and me, by just giving the courts his certified birth certificate, so why won't he?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.