Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Big Game Hunting Rifle- STW?

Hello, im just trying to learn a little about this gun because my best friend wants to buy one. Personally i wouldn't because i dont think it is very popular and will be staying. I shoot a 270. win and im buying a 300. wsm and both of these rifles i love.

Is the 7mm STW any good?? Do you think it will be staying?? Is it better then the 7mm remington mag?? What do you suggest him to buy, he is really considering the 7mm stw?

Best Answer

You two guys are suffering from Magnumania HyperBallistica. It makes you think that speed and power can overcome your shortcomings in the skill and stealth departments. But buy, buy, buy and I'll bet you go back to the good, old, .270 for overall effectiveness and game-getting.

7mmSTW sounds like a Wimpy-Special. Tell him to buy it . Then outhunt him with your .270

The 7mm STW is a great round. . .That said, it may not have staying power after the next few years. Rounds in this caliber are becoming very common and the new ones are all beltless. That has been dubbed superior by some know it all gun writer. IMO, factory ammo is hard to get now and will get much worse over the next 10 years. 300 WSM on the other hand is going to be a new mainstay. 7mm Rem mag, will also be around for quite some time. Now, if he reloads, or will. . .by the 7 STW. It is a great round.

The 7mm STW is a good cartridge however it is not a common cartridge.They are slightly better than the 7mm Rem mag but only slightly and they have to burn considerably more powder to do it. I dont think we will be seeing factory loadings for this caliber much longer. Also why go with the STW when the 7mm ultra mag outperforms it. I would buy a normal 7mm rem mag cause its a proven caliber and will be around long after the others have faded into oblivion.

I wouldn't, either. All that extra speed is good for the campfire conversations, but it does little that the old 7mm Mauser can't do, and if you have to impress your chronograph, there's the RUM. It looks to me like the 7mm STW is going the way of its parent 8mm RemMag, and will soon be obsolete. It wouldn't surprise me to find your buddy having to form brass from 375 H&H or one of the Weatherby cases in a few years.

Your friend would do well to listen to you.