I don't get this 'Post' genre thingy?

I just don't get the whole 'post' thing in general. Like, post grunge, post metal, post hardcore, post punk.

To me, post punk just sounds like a more 'poppier', less aggressive version of Punk. I know this is probably wrong. So...

What you all think?

There are many famous post rock bands like, Sigur Rós & Pelican.

Post rock is an experimental type of rock. A defining characteristic of this sub genre is that the guitars are used mostly for timbre & texture instead of power chords & riffs. It's focused more on ambiance than the traditional guitar driven sound of trad rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock

Favorite Answer

post-punk was a label first applied to those bands that immediately followed the punk revolution in the late 70s, early 80s.

prime exponents include magazine, public image limited, joy division,

echo and the bunnymen. nothing 'poppier' about that lot.

post-rock is just an easy way to describe stuff that is not easily categorised. its the most modern form of rock, mostly instrumental, but always experimental. good examples include mogwai, explosions in the sky, russian circles

I have no idea but just to clear things up, post-punk and pop-punk are waaaay different. Post-punk is sort of like gothic rock.

Joy Division > Fall Out Boy.

edit: Ificutmyhair, I see what you mean. It was just the way you worded that before that confused me.

Well you say you suck but i know some of my pals having a crappiest french than yours (and i won't even talk about their english LOL) anyway it could be alot worse and i'm pretty impressed so far i'll try to correct everything (it's one a.m and i didn't had my last cigarette fAck) "J'aime TOUS LES genres..." (I like all kind of/genre) "dance " isn't translated in french when you talk of it as a music style (we don't have a word for it in french -.-) "je n'aime pas le rap" (in french rap music is refered as "the rap" or "rap" only and not "rap music") you could have wrote un melange pop/rock (a pop/rock mix) it would be corrct "sur mon telephone/mobile" (on my phone) it's mostly details that make someone having a clumsy sounding french but it was great honestly and even if your french is a bit messy people will understand you ;)

• post = after

basically its all the more recent kind of music from a genre that was influenced by the same genre earlier/back in the day...if that makes any sense

like post-punk (aka pop-punk) came to be when people heard the original, real version of punk music...they then took punk and added, stemed off it and twisted it around a bit to make it poppy-ier.....they just built upon a set genre through their influences

EDIT: to Lauren...i know they are different, the reason i put them together is because post-punk kind of influenced pop-punk...so pop-punk is like post-post-punk.....ARGGGH it's just a dumb label

Source(s): my friends are genre ho*rs that like to rant about what band is in what sub-genre

It means after... Id also use Post-Punk because I couldnt call Bauhaus or Siouxsie and the Banshees "Pop Punk"

agreed.........but post-punk is much crappier, of course.

So is post-grunge. It just totally sucks: Bands like Creed, Matchbox Twenty, and Nickelback are talentless.

EDIT: But there is only one post-grunge band I like: 3 Doors Down. They're one of my guilty pleasures...lol

I don't get it, either. "Post-Punk" is like Simple Plan and sh*t from what I've heard from people, and I think they're using "punk" the way we do everyday, like "That kid's a little punk" to describe that crap.

I agree, although i have no idea what most of the "Sub-Genres" are anyway, like emo, screamo, nu-metal, etc

I agree with Lily...

(almost all) post grunge = crapolla.

• Just another promotional gimmick.

=0)