Is Disk Cleanup on Windows Vista ..safe?

I've read on the internet that some people get told they need to delete a large amount of files on Windows Vista Disk Cleanup and it ends up deleting their whole C Drive. Mine says that "You can use Disk Cleanup to free up to 6.63 GB of disk space on HP (C:)" Is 6.63 too much?!

• Favorite Answer

very safe the 1st time of use very often more than that. the bulk of your 6.63Gb is probably the browser temp files and browser cookies that are left on your PC every time you use the web.

delete them they are just using memory .

Also when you start disk clean up let it run till it tells you how much it can save .

then click on options(tab at top of window) it will at the bottom allow you to clear all but one system restore point and ghosts..

suggest you do it as each time a system restore is made you lose more memory.

i run mine daily to keep my PC as fast as possible.

you could also download and use(weekly) ~"ccleaner" it is free it compliments cleanup.

this will help.

also you could defrag hard drive when you have cleaned it.

1st time may take 3/4 hours (run over night.

this will also speed up and improve performance of your PC

• s j

It shows you what its gonna delete. One option is deleting the hibernation files folder which is the same size as your installed ram. If you delete the hibernation files folder you will then not have the hibernation option althou you can turn it back on later. I don't buy that doing a disk cleanup will trash the OS. I run Vista on one of my gaming rigs and use disk cleanup all the time. Should do a defrag AFTER you run the disk cleanup.

Disk Cleanup will only delete what it knows it can delete and nothing else. It is just as safe in Vista as it is with XP. Make sure you check all the items in the list. It doesn't delete your whole hard drive.

Just check or uncheck the files you want to delete/keep. With the little ticks?

When I did mine the first time, it deleted the 'Hibernation' file, so I couldn't Hibernate at all. I finally got it back after ages of research though; and now whenever I use 'Disk Cleanup', I always ensure the uncheck the box. =)

Good luck. <3

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.pcboostcleaner.com

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

6.63 sounds about right if youve been using it for a long time. You may have a lot of that 6.63 in your recycle bin so check that first.

Just do everything except compress files when you choose what to delete...Internet Explorer creates a lot of junk data on your hard drive in C:\Users\(Your username)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and windows makes plenty of it too.

If you're unsure, download CCleaner. It gets rid of junk files on your pc. I've been using it for years and never had a problem.

Check out the link below or google it for reviews.

yeah i wouldnt recomend a disk clean up, when i did it for my vista laptop the d drive stoped working

Where the hell have you red that, their probably talking about registry cleaners not disk clean-up