mkim007 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Where do I look for a reputable French Bulldog breeder?

How do I know that the breeder is not a puppy mill that supplies pet stores and sells pups that are more likely to have health problems down the road?

Favorite Answer

Your best bet is to start with a breeder who is a member of their National breed club, and/or a local breed club.

Start here:

http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/ht/d/sp/i/310/pid...

Note the following statement from the French Bulldog Club of America:

"As of February 2008, the club requires that, in order to be listed, a breeder must have been a club member for a minimum of two years, and have bred at least one French Bulldog Conformation Champion."

This indicates that the breeder is involved in the breed on a higher level than just breeding.

When talking to a breeder, ask what sort of genetic health testing they do. They should be able to provide all puppy buyers with copies of the parents' health clearances.

The breeder should be just as interested in you, and have lots of questions for you, in order to screen you as a potential owner.

Reputable French Bulldog Breeders

French Bulldog Breeder Directory

Though I have to agree with a great deal of what TM says - I do believe that there are Very Good hobby breeders who do not show their own dogs, but do breed champions and sell very good conformation quality pups. I once purchased a dog from a breeder who had not only been the president of her breed club but also was a vet and DID demand a deposit as well as advertise her puppies/ kennel - so I would disagree that it is against a code of ethics to do so. You aren't sworn in to a standard when you decide to become a breeder, and I guess thats the real issue - but whether you show or not, whether you judge or not, nothing is completely standardized or the breeds would never advance. That being said, caution is definitely needed and I would say that one of the best ways to find a reputable breeder is to rely on just that - reputation. Go to a show and see for yourself who is in your area. Ask for references - people you can call an speak with personally. Find ones in your area that have the breed and have GREAT (not just good) experiences with their breeders. It can be much more simple than it's made to seem.

Source(s): Canadian Kennel Club Reg'd Breeder

There is a breeder directory on the French Bulldog Club of America website of breeders in good standing with the FDBCA.

Definitely a member of the french bulldog club because the breeder referral from AKC doesn't mean anything. They could still be a backyard breeder who just registers their dogs w/AKC. By finding a member of the breed club, they'll most likely show their dogs, which is a step in the right direction. They should want to interview you, and you should do the same for them.

• The French Bulldog Club of America

http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/

• *****

You get a referral from the breed club and you ask tons of questions before you buy. The US breed club: http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/ If you are in another country, just google your county name and 'french bulldog club'. There is good information about making sure the breeder is reputable on the breed club website I provided as well.

A good breeder should let you come and look at the dogs/puppies, let you see their environment and interact with them. Do some research about the breeder beforehand, and try to come up with some questions about the dogs, their parents, and their bloodlines, and anything else you can think of. There's some common sense in it. You should be thorough with your questions and assessing of the dogs/puppies.

I'm sure some dog breeders will provide more knowledgeable answers, but these are just some suggestions ^^

Try the web for a French bulldog owners club or kennel club site and look for a link.

Be sure to visit were you buy your puppy from if the place doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

Good luck.