Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

WHAT does it mean when a guy wants SPACE?

please elaborate. no one is answering my other questions.

i need to know how to give him his space he is asking for bc i dont want to lose him. i love him so much. what are some ways i can "back off"? does this just mean he wants to dump me or does he really need alone time?

Favorite Answer

He wants time to think... that's all. Just pretend like he doesn't exist until he takes action first. don't call him, don't text him, don't email him, don't comment him, don't message him, don't IM him... don't do any of it until he starts first. Let him think he'll lose you before you'll crack. I know you love him sweetie but.. have you heard that old saying? It goes something like "Let it go, and if it comes back it was meant to be yours."

Well it's true.. cheesy enough.

I know it's painful but you have to let it be for now.

Source(s): Currently in the same situation with my fiance

You need to ask yourself, "why do I love this guy?"

Because it may be feelings. I'm no phycologist, but I have heard that in a relationsip there is a period of time that an individual's critical think is shut down. This means that you may feel in love with him, but all you want for yourself is his attention.

This brings in tones of problems, you seem to me, to be showing signs of desperation for this guy. You need to stop that and show him that you can have a functional life without him, that is more attractive to a guy then a girl whining for his attention.

Respect these guy at all cost and let him have his "break." It may even be the begging of a great relationship or the end of what the relationship currently is.

You need to make sure that you are able to prove first to yourself that you can have a function vibrant life without a relationship with a man, because if you do tha, once a relationship is then persued, it will be awesome.

Never asume that any guy can complete your feelsin or emotions, because that is a lie. You boyfriend may even feel you expect too much from him. No individual can complete another individual at all, that is just a bad assumption. So, let him become his own individual and you your own!

I hope this helps.

JM

Honey,

if you really want to know what a guy wants or what he means..you need to sit down and ask him. Tell him that you are confused about what direction he is heading towards.

Typically "space" is a nice way of saying that he does not want to be with you anymore..BUT not always. It could mean that he just wants to reassure his feelings for you.

The things that you can do...Stop calling him as often (if at all), if you HAVE to communicate with him..do it through email.

SPACE means that you seriously need to back off and stop contacting him as much. Why not invest some time into a hobby or start hanging out with friends.

best of luck

It's tough I know, but it means he needs time alone to work out what he really wants. Bothering him either by turning up at his door or calling will only aggravate the situation.

Be strong and give him the space he asks for. In time, even if it's just a few days, he'll be the one that comes to you, wondering where you've been. From experience, a week to two weeks max will settle whether you still have a future together.

Leaving him to sulk might straighten him out a bit. If not, It's time to move on. Sorry if that sounds blunt, but it's what makes us stronger and better prepared for what the world throws at us.

"SPACE" = I WANNA CHECK OUT MY OTHER OPTIONS!! Depending on your heart = SPACE 4 U 2!! But it most likely means you're done for now!! Not forever!! You bide your time sweet, and show up somewhere looking hot(not slutty) and he'll want you back!! Make it a night to ignore him!!

And if this doesn't work, and you find your self happy, having fun--so be it!! Space for both!! He won't like it, even if (not to be rude at all my friend), he doesn't want you!!

Source(s): EXPERIENCE
  • Lanie

Don't revolve your world around him for one thing. If he wants space it could mean that you are suffocating him and if you don't give him room to breathe and do things independent of you he will end the relationship in order to be able to do things he wants to do with his friends. Guys are pack animals and need to have time to bond with their buddies... Now it could already have progressed to a point of where when by saying he wants space, that he wants out...so you have to be able to handle this either way..right? so start hanging out with your girlfriends that you possibly have neglected since you started going out with your boyfriend. Give him his space, if you lose him well you do....I know it sounds harsh but if he doesn't want to be around then why would you want to keep him where he doesn't want to be...You can't force someone to stay with you or love you....so That is the extreme circumstance,, for now,,, back off, hang out with your girlfriends. make plans with . Don 't make plans with them only if you make sure if doesn't conflict with seeing you boyfriend...make them first and let your boyfriend take the times left that you have left...Be Confident and take charge here. ok Watch what hapens.

• Carrie

It means that he is either too polite to say to you that it is over or he just wants to see what else is out there before he makes a commitment to you. I would say stop contacting him and see where it goes. If he calls you then you know that he wants to work things out if not then you need to move on and give him all the space in the world by finding yourself a new boyfriend.

• Jason

It means he wants to shop around... The harder you try to not let him go the more he will want to get away from the relationship. Your best chance of getting him back is to give him all the 'space' he needs. Stop calling him, get on with your life and hope that he will come back when he finds out the grass isn't really greener on the other side of the fence.

He wants more time apart from you. Its an old way of letting someone know its over. Or, they want you to have some time to get over some behavior that he thinks is souring the relationship. Bottom line, give him space and if he feels he is getting to much space, he will let you know. If he doesn't, its your chance to look up those guys who have been waiting for you to be available.

Your calling, going to his house, texting, seeing, way to much. i know how this feels it gets kinda annoying and if it keeps on he will dump you. just talk to him as less as you possibly can like txt him a couple times a day but DO NOT get carried away. (well now that he wants his space don't txt him until this thing is over) And only call him before you go to bed. But don't ignore him too much or the love or whatever your both feeling will diminish.