promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

What happens if i'm evicted from my rented house because of a zoning issue my landlord didn't inform me of?

I live in Fayetteville, AR and we have a total of 5 people who live in our house... Yesterday we received a letter from the city saying we are violating a zoning issue that only allows up to 3 people that are non-related to live in a house together. When we signed the lease the landlord never mentioned anything about this to us, and now we have the possibility of being kicked out of our house... Does anybody know the possible outcomes of this?

Update:

Yes we all 5 signed the lease and the letter we recieved said we just had to show them a lease with only 3 names on it...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He is not responsible to make sure you are informed of the law.

The only thing that is going to happen is that you move. If you push it you move with an eviction on your record, making renting hard in the future.

Your options are to move with a clean credit record, or move with an eviction. You chose, no one else.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The lease is void because it violates local ordinance on number of non-related people that may live in a house at the same time, You may want to find a new place to live since even if you supply a new lease with three people’s name it does not mean the town is going to allow the other two people to reside in the residence

• 1 decade ago

I would do some research on the internet. Go to google in type your exact question in. If your landlord neglected to tell you this and agree to lease the rental unit to you, you may be able to take action.

If you need legal advice I suggest talking to The Niblock Law Firm. They're located in Fayetteville, AR.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You will need to sign a new lease with 3 names on it. The zoning laws are what they are, your land lord should have known this, however his lack of not knowing does not mean that he is to blame. I would negotiate a new lease. Lesson learned for all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You end up moving.

You could try to file a claim of some sort against the landlord, but you may not get anywhere. Or you might win, but never collect a dime, or enough to cover your legal costs. If you really want to pursue this, talk to a real estate attorney in your area, but don't get your hopes up. He might take the case only if you pay his bill up front. That's a sign that he doesn't expect to recover enough to make this worth his time any other way.

• 1 decade ago

Your lease is NOT void. You simply get two people to move out. I don't think you can use this to break the lease. Did ALL FIVE people sign the lease?

• Rachel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Your landlord might not have even known. Give him a call and ask him if he can get the property re-zoned. If not, you would have to move, but hopefully he would be willing to waive any fee for breaking the lease since it wasn't your choice.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sounds like either two of you have to move out, or all of you do. If all five of you are on the lease, then you shouldn't have any trouble getting back your security deposit.

• 1 decade ago

Well if you are in violation of a local ordinance and they want to push it then you will have to comply. If that is the law then that is the law.

Lease should be broken and deposits returned to you. You should not be liable for future months.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.