Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is there any difference between Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit?

My question is short: What is the difference between Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost?

Favorite Answer

They are the same.

The Holy Spirit is one of the three persons of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For many of us, this is a difficult concept to grasp. The Bible declares that there is only one living God, yet we learn from scripture that He comprises three separate personages. One way to partially visualize this concept is to examine the nature of water (H2O). Water is a single compound that can exist in three states – liquid, ice and vapor. An egg is another picture. It is comprised of the white, the yoke and the shell, yet it is still one egg. Of course, by no means do these examples paint a complete picture of our God, but they are illustrative of the fact that His three “persons” in no way invalidate His oneness.

Holy Spirit: Much More that an Ethereal Life Force

The Holy Spirit is not a vague, ethereal life force. He is not impersonal or unthinking. The Holy Spirit is a “person” equal in every way with God, the Father, and God, the Son. The Bible tells us that all the characteristics of God apparent in the Father and the Son are equally apparent in the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is composed of intellect, emotions and will. In 1 Corinthians 2:11, we see an example of the Holy Spirit’s intellect and will: “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.”

In Romans 15:30, we see the Holy Spirit has emotion, as represented by the capacity to love:“Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;”

Although the Holy Spirit has all the characteristics of God, He has specific roles and functions in our lives. In John 16:13, we see the Spirit of Truth as our guide: “Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.”

In John 14:26, we learn that the Holy Spirit is our Counselor and teacher: “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

In 1 Corinthians 3:16, we see that the Holy Spirit lives inside us: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”

In Acts 1:8, we understand where our power comes from: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you."

In Romans 8:14, we understand where our direction comes from: “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

In Romans 8:26, we learn that the Holy Spirit is there for us in times of weakness and prayer: “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”

In Hebrews 9:14, we see that the Holy Spirit is eternal. In 1 Corinthians 2:11, we see that the Holy Spirit is all-knowing. In Psalm 139, we see that the Holy Spirit is everywhere.

Holy Spirit: Attributes of God

The Holy Spirit, Father and Son all comprise a unified Godhead known in Christianity as the “Trinity.” A common misconception is that Christians believe in three different gods. This isn’t correct. While each “personage” is distinct in function, each shares together in the same deity and each reflects the divine attributes of the one living God.

No, (as far as i know) I have seen the Holy Ghost named that and Holy Spirit. Different versions of the bible will reference this as either. But as with any religious topic, it is open to interpretation.

No, they are both the exact same thing. Part of the holy trinity-

1. Father

2. Son

3. Holy Spirit (holy ghost)

i prefer the term holy spirit though

god bless

no there is no difference between Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit ,ghost means spirit and spirit means ghost.. it simple

• Rubym

Older translations usually say "Holy Ghost" and more modern say "Holy Spirit" It is the same.

In the Catholic Church, "Holy Ghost" was used up until about the mid 1960's, then it was "Holy Spirit". Older people could not get used to that. (My Grandmother used to say "I will never get used to calling him the "Holy Spirit" To me, he will always be the "Holy Ghost.")

There is no difference, ghost and spirit generally means the same. It depends on the translator what word they use.

Jesus said in John 14:26 “ But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

Notice the comforter is the Holy Spirit, what's more is the very purpose of this helper is to bear witness to the truth who is Jesus. John 14:17 “ Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”

This helper Jesus and the Father would send would be in Christians and abide with them forever.

No, Originally in Greek manuscripts it translates Pneuma(breath) Hagion(holy, or sanctified), in Aramaic Kadosh(Holy) Ruach(fem. form of breath). So better translated God's Breath, you can't see it, hear it, touch it, etc. but it inspires you to do great things and it is so very personal for the Creator of all existence to be so close as you feel His breath in your life.

Source(s): KJV1611,Strong's

It would take some one much wiser than

me,my friend to even attempt to try and

give an answer,but i can tell you this there

is a difference.what that difference is,"quien

sabe" who knows? one of God's mysteries.

Eric S

Source(s): Only time will tell

They are one and the same. You can see images of some of these beings at the link bellow.