How do the anti-colic bottles work?

I have a 6 day old baby boy and we're finding out that he prefers the MAM anti-colic bottles over any other bottle. I was just curious as o how the whole venting thing works and how does it reduce colic?? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

With regular bottles as the baby drinks air enters the bottle from around the nipple to replace the milk baby drank this causes bubbles in the milk so baby swallows more air. With the mam bottle as baby drinks the air enters the bottle from the bottom so it doesn't mix with the milk.

Source(s): mom to 4
  • ?

Anti Colic Bottles

• ?

Mam Anti Colic Bottles

• Ktloop

it just lets air into the bottle, so it can replace the milk. If you were to suck on a pop bottle, you would suck all the air out and it would be very difficult to suck , which is what happens when bottles do not have vents. The air is all sucked out, making the teat collapse and baby has to suck double hard to get any milk . Then when you release the pressure (ie take the bottle out of babies mouth ) all the air rushes in and makes the milk very frothy , I think these two things give the baby colic. Hope this helps :)

• ?

I've never used the MAM ones, but the Doctor Brown's ones have a column inside that allows air in the bottle to move about through the formula rather than becoming trapped in the milk the baby is drinking.

I had a colicky baby my self. I lasted 4 months. I tried everything out there for colicky babies. My opinion no difference. Money wasted. I tried the Dr. Brown. Did not work or at least I did not notice any difference. When they are colicky you will have to put up w/ it. Something that work for me was Colic Calm (homeopathic therapy) Love it. Or if you are short on budget try star anise. Preparation: 1 cup of boiling water with 2 star anise. Let it cool. With a dropper I will give my baby 2ml of that. Discard unused and repeat if needed again. Use it cautiously when anything else do not wok. Star anise is the most effective.

Well it reduces the amount of air bubbles in the formula so the baby is less gassy.

less air in your bottles even if you dont think its working try giving your baby a diffrent bottle and youll see a differnce

how can anything help reduce colic when doctors dont even know what causes it in the first place. it probably just helps with gas...which makes a fussy baby too.