Did General Collin Powell surprise anyone with his support of Obama?

After he made his announcement he won’t give any other interviews or elaborate on it.

I search for some good articles written by reputable sources by all I find are BS articles written by the usual band of smut peddlers.

Does anyone know of any good interviews with Collin Powell? And don’t say it was race. I served under Colin Powell. He is way above that and has my highest respect.

Favorite Answer

Colin Powell’s endorsement was more of a protest against the Bush administration and aimed more at revenge against Donald Rumsfeld. If Rumsfeld was never involved, Colin Powell could have accomplish in 3 or 4 years what has already taken 8 years and will take another 3 to get completely out.

Here is one of the better articles on his endorsement and it leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-...

I always thought he would be the first black president in the 90s but he never ran.

From the article above:

“The prospect of Obama becoming the first African American president”, Powell said, “would electrify the world."

So he does have some racial overtones. This is one of those mysteries that will not be unlocked until Colin Powell wants it to.

I would have gladly voted for Colin But I won’t vote for Obama.

Mike

• logan

Yes, it was a little surprising. But he is an intelligent man and has seen McCain for what he really is. McCain is a coward. Now, before I get a bunch of people all up in a tizzie, I am talking about how he obviously cannot stand up to his campaign. He is better than this. He knows better then this. The only way it can be explained is that the republican party has taken over and he has to follow. His party does not want the democrats to win and they will do anything and say anything to see that McCain does. Collin Powell can see this and is respectable enough not to go along with it. He's been friends with McCain for ever and has only known Obama for a short time. If it was about race, he would have endorsed him a long time ago. I think he was giving his friend McCain some time to change things and show the "maverick" in him but he hasn't been able to.

I agree on one factor and that's, Colin Powell endorsing Obama extra widens the lead he has. yet shall we be severe right here, endorsements do no longer in all risk do something yet instruct that the flesh presser being recommended ought to be relied on. What concerns extra isn't any matter if Obama can proceed to communicate to the subject concerns which he has finished extra useful at than McCain. McCain would not have plenty time to get it suitable. He has squandered distinctive possibilities to take the lead and that i think of its very almost over. the only ingredient left to function to the equation are the votes. as quickly as that happens then we are able to understand what united statesa. has desperate.

No.

General Powell really do love this country. And he watched Palin over the weeks and saw that she was not ready to be one step away from the Presidency.

Unlike McCain, General Powell thinks with his head above.

• madart

He was disgusted by the Bush administration. He held out hoping McCain, a long time friend, would be different. He watched all the debates and saw the strategies employed in the campaign and realized his old buddy drank the cool-aide. It really is that simple.

I can say it was race because it was. I had a lot of respect for Colin Powell, but not any longer, I thought he was above the race issue.

Your best bet is to read his book. My American Journey. Great read. If you understand where he comes from then you'll understand his decision. While he admitted that part of his decision was related to cultural pride, it was likely a small part of his decision. I tell you this. After reading his book, I developed a great deal of respect for him. I read it like 9 or ten years ago. Good read.

No. He's paying back the GOP for making him look like a fool when he told us all there were weapons of mass destruction and there weren't.

And it is about race. He told a George Washington University audience that electing a black president would be electrifying. So there u are. He held out til late in the game for a post on Obama's fantasy cabinet.

i have admired and respected general powell since he worked with my dad at the pentagon (joint chiefs of staff) in the early 1990's. i don't agree with his support of obama, but he is entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us.

• Amy

I was surprised he made a public endorsement at all, but not surprised he backs Obama.