Removed the carpet from my can I round off the wood ?

...without buying a table with a router bit and all that? What other ways are there to do it without buying lots of special equipment and still achieve a professional look? If I take the planks to a lumber yard, will they do it for me?

10 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Lets start with a couple of questions...

    First, does the tread have a lip that extends over the riser?

    Second... what is the tread made of? plywood, oak, pine, etc?

    The fastest and easiest approach, would probably be to install new treads altogether. This would be a good choice if the existing treads are just plywood, for example. You can get oak stair treads from building supply stores, like Lowe's.

    If the existing treads are flush at the front with the risers, then you could consider attaching a piece of moulding to the front of the tread. I would use a glue/spline for a stronger hold myself.

    To rework the existing treads, you would be best served by taking them off. While a lumberyard would not profile the edge for you, any cabinet shop could do it... in fact.. anyone who owns a router and round-over bit could do it. Contrary to what one answer posted... you CAN profile both the top and bottom edge of the stair tread in one pass. Its called a 'half round bull nose', and you can get router bits, shaper cutters, or even a moulding head for a table saw to do it with.

    If you do not want to purchase a router, you could consider renting one, if you'd like to do this yourself. All you would need to buy then, is the router bit, if the rental store didn't supply it. (some would).

    Here is a link showing how to select a round-over router bit -

    The 2 most important things for you to consider are the radius, and shank diameter. Some routers use 1/4 inch shank, 3/8" shank, or 1/2" shank. Some have interchangable collets which let you select between them. Most of these bits run right about $20... not expensive at all.

    Again, if you want to hire someone to profile these for you, look for a small cabinet shop, or, take out an ad in your local paper, talk to someone at the local building supply store, etc.. to see if you can find someone with a 'garage' shop. This would be a 'weekend woodworker', hehhe.... but they would most likely have the tools (and experience) needed to do the work.

    Before spending too much on having the old treads reworked though, check in to prices on new treads, which already have the profile on the front edge.

    Good Luck

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago


    Source(s): Nice Woodworking Plans
  • jodie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Bullnose Stair Tread Carpet

  • Ron G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    If you really need the professional look you will need to remove every step. This in itself is not going to be an easy task since most stairs are firmly attached with both glue and nails and even sometimes screws. Then you will be able to choose the look that you desire but once again the installation of the steps is going to be a challenge to get the look that you require. Maybe a professional with the correct tools is not a bad idea?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • xaxorm
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Well, the router is the best tool. You don't need an expensive one. You can also use a hand-held orbital sander with course sandpaper. You may need it anyway if you're going to round over the whole width of the steps without taking them all off...

    "If I take the planks to a lumber yard, will they do it for me?"

    Not for free. And that is an awful lot of work, removing every step.

  • 1 decade ago

    A router is your best bet for this job. A lumber yard will not do this type work for you, they typically will only make a straight cut for you (if your buying the wood from them). You can achieve the same effect by sanding the edges, but you will not be able to get all the stair treads to look the same.

  • 1 decade ago

    not as simple as you think im would need to dismantle your staircase to get the treads out to bring them somewhere to be rounded over....the router is a possibility but without experience, forget it...and depending on your stairs it may not have room to get to each end of each step...also, this will really only radius the top edge for wont round both edges in one would need access to the underneath of each step to achieve success could try a sander but it will never look right. how about buying a rounded trim, the same thickness as your treads, and gluing and pinning it on? if you can get the wood to match, this would be your best bet i feel...especially as its a DIY job....i don't mean to discourage you at all, but these things are often quite tricky...i hope this is of help to you! good luck!

    Source(s): carpentry contractor
  • Sanding will do it , If you have yards of time. Cheapest tool to get right to the ends, but take care cos the surform tool from a good ironmongers will set you back all ot about a fiver, but it removes stock timber quite quickly. Then sand paper to finish. Cheers Jeff.

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Ultimate Woodworking Guide
  • Hondu
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    If you have a table or radial arm saw you can buy shaper heads for them for not too big of an investment. Or take the planks to a cabinet or furniture making shop that has a planer/shaper and they will probably help you out for a small fee.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.