Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Should I vote for Al Franken for U.S. Senate?

I'm from Minnesota, and I'm still undecided on the race for the United States Senate.

Should I vote for Franken? Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

If you're even considering it, get some old Saturday Night Live DVDs and watch "The Franken and Davis Show."

Once you see how lousy a "comedian" he is, you'll realize he couldn't possibly be any better as a senator and you'll vote for someone else.

It would be certainly entertaining for the US senate sessions. Franken is probably for a major politician as far liberal as it gets. But hey, Minnesota elected a wrestler governor, so why not a raving liberal for Senator?

Coleman got his seat in 2002 when the favored Democratic senator died in a tragic airplane crash some days before the election, otherwise he wouldn´t have won the seat.

Do you approve of his job performance? If yes, vote Coleman. If not, and if you can support a liberal, vote Franken. If you´re more moderate/conservative and have nothing against casting a protest vote without any chance of winning, vote for the Independent (forgot his name). If nothing of that, vote for no one.

How do you vote on the presidential one? If McCain, it´s probably Coleman. If Obama, it´s probably Franken, or if conservative-Obama voter, the independent.

Yes, Al Franken is the Jew from Minnesota (Norm Coleman is the Jew from New York).

Franken was born in New York, the son of Phoebe G. (née Kunst), a homemaker and real estate agent, and Joseph P. Franken, a printing salesman. Franken had a Jewish upbringing and grew up in St. Louis Park, a suburb near Minneapolis. Franken is a cousin of MSNBC's Bob Franken. His older brother, Owen Franken, is a photojournalist. Franken attended St. Louis Park High School until the tenth grade. He graduated in 1969 from The Blake School, where he was on the wrestling team. He attended Harvard College and graduated *** laude in 1973 with a bachelor of arts degree. At Harvard, Franken washed dishes as a participant in the work-study program with Richard Honaker, who was nominated by U.S. President George W. Bush in 2007 as one of three U.S. District Judges from Wyoming.

Franken met his wife, the former Franni Bryson, in his first year of college at a Harvard-Simmons mixer. They now reside in Minneapolis. They have a daughter, Thomasin, and a son, Joe. Thomasin graduated from Harvard College with a sociology degree, and was a public school teacher in New York City but is now volunteering full time for her father's campaign. Joe graduated from Princeton University.

Franken has been a vocal critic of the Iraq War for several years and opposed the 2007 troop surge. However, he didn't criticize the invasion at the time, a fact he often admitted, with regret, on his radio program. In an interview with MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, Franken said that he "believed Colin Powell," whose presentation at the United Nations convinced him that the war was necessary. Franken now believes that Congress should refuse to pass appropriations bills to fund the war if they don't include timetables for leaving Iraq. In an interview with Josh Marshall, Franken said of the Democrats, "I think we've gotta make [Bush] say, 'OK, I'm cutting off funding because I won't agree to a timetable.'"

Franken favors transitioning to a universal health care system, with the provision that every child in America should receive health care coverage immediately. He believes that private pensions and Social Security should be protected. He wants to cut tax breaks for oil companies, increase money available for college students and cut interest rates on student loans.

I like Al. He's shown himself to be a pretty smart guy over the years, even if he's not as funny as he used to be. One thing I know for sure is that he cares genuinely and deeply for the little guy. I don't know as much about Coleman or the independent guy who is running. My understanding is that Coleman has not been the worst Republican Senator and is relatively moderate - however, with a Democratic majority in the senate, Coleman is more likely to be obstructing the work of Obama than helping him. So if you are voting for Obama you should also vote for Franken.

Franken was a good friend of the late senator Paul Wellstone, a man who I deeply admire for his independence and for his commitment to working families. They share the same worldview. So I trust his commitment on issues like healthcare and education and veterans affairs.

Also, if you don't like Bill O'Reilly than electing Franken will make his head explode. I'd vote for him just to see that happen.

the venture that Franken is going to handle is getting his foot interior the door for usa Senate. pondering his bias and profession, the Democrats heavily isn't too hasty to contemplate him for any severe positions interior the Democratic management. he would be regarded upon as a action picture star concentrated visitor Host for the Minnesota delegation, and could in all possibility be silenced in the process his term. If something, Franken will take a seat for one term then be destroyed interior the DFL common come 2014. If he wins the nomination lower back, then that is possibly that, pondering Obama heavily isn't working for something in 2014, Franken will lose the seat to the Republicans. it quite is going to be relaxing to exhibit screen C-SPAN 2 lower back in spite of the shown fact that.

Pick up a copy of "The Truth, with Jokes" I think he can do some great things to clean up the Senate. He pretty much made the Abramoff scandal public in his book and now Abramoff is in prison. The other guy is in bed with some oil lobbyists from what I hear. I think he is very patriotic and really wants to work in the best interest of MN and the rest of the US.

Source(s):

Yes.

Al Franken is smart. For the past 6 years, Norm Coleman has been a rubber stamp for the Bush Administration and hasn't had the brains or the guts to stand up for his constituents.

• Yes you should vote for Franken. He is a stud and will do right by this country.

Well, the Repub hasn't been doing his job correctly, so I guess Franken can't hurt.

• J&J

He's a comedian, silly. I think he's joking about wanting to be a Senator, don't you?