If a computer is dead, does physically removing a hard drive after unplugging it help diagnose the problem?

I just helped someone with their new Dell it's dead. The power supply or motherboard is kaput.I called tech support for her to get warranty service. To diagnose the issue the call center person in India not only had me unplug the drives, but she made me physically remove them from the computer. She had me of coarse... show more I just helped someone with their new Dell it's dead. The power supply or motherboard is kaput.I called tech support for her to get warranty service. To diagnose the issue the call center person in India not only had me unplug the drives, but she made me physically remove them from the computer. She had me of coarse pull the RAM, modem and re-seat the fan plug but she sadi I had to take the drives out to diagnose the problem. \8^{
Update: Other than CMOS desktops don't have batteries.