What is the job description of the VP of the United States? Does Palin know it?

Rebel. You are an ignorant person. You didn't attempt to answer the question.

Matt A. Good Answer.

• Matt A
    Favorite Answer

The Vice President of the United States[1] is the first person in the presidential line of succession, becoming the new President of the United States upon the death, resignation, or removal of the president, should he or she accept the position. Every presidential term ends on January 20 of the year immediately after a presidential election. As designated by the Constitution of the United States, the vice president also serves as the President of the Senate, and may break tie votes in that chamber.[2] He or she may be assigned additional duties by the president but, as the Constitution assigns no executive powers to the vice president, in performing such duties he or she acts only as an agent of the president.

The formal powers and role of the vice president are limited by the Constitution to becoming President should the President become unable to serve (e.g. due to the death, resignation, or medical impairment of the President) and acting as the presiding officer of the U.S. Senate. As President of the Senate, the Vice President has two primary duties: to cast a vote in the event of a Senate deadlock and to preside over and certify the official vote count of the U.S. Electoral College. For example, in the first half of 2001, the Senators were divided 50-50 between Republicans and Democrats and Dick Cheney's tie-breaking vote gave the Republicans the Senate majority. (See 107th United States Congress.)

John Tyler, the first Vice President to assume the Presidency following the death of the previous President

The informal roles and functions of the Vice President depend on the specific relationship between the President and the Vice President, but often include drafter and spokesperson for the administration's policy, as an adviser to the president, as Chairman of the Board of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as a Member of the board of the Smithsonian Institution, and as a symbol of American concern or support. The influence of the Vice President in this role depends almost entirely on the characteristics of the particular administration. Vice President Cheney, for instance, is widely regarded as one of President George W. Bush's closest confidants. Al Gore was an important advisor to President Bill Clinton on matters of foreign policy and the environment. Often, Vice Presidents will take harder-line stands on issues to ensure the support of the party's base while deflecting partisan criticism away from the President.[citation needed] Under the American system the President is both head of state and head of government, and the ceremonial duties of the former position are often delegated to the Vice President. The Vice President may meet with other heads of state or attend state funerals in other countries, at times when the administration wishes to demonstrate concern or support but cannot send the President himself. Not all Vice Presidents are happy in their jobs. John Nance Garner, who served as vice president from 1933 to 1941 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, famously remarked that the Vice Presidency wasn't "worth a pitcher of warm piss,"[9] although reporters allegedly changed the last word to "spit" for print.

In recent years, the vice presidency has frequently been used to launch bids for the presidency. Of the thirteen presidential elections from 1956 to 2004, nine featured the incumbent president; the other four (1960, 1968, 1988, 2000) all featured the incumbent vice president. Former vice presidents also ran, in 1984 (Walter Mondale), and in 1968 (Richard Nixon, against the incumbent Vice President Hubert Humphrey). The first presidential election to include neither the incumbent president nor the incumbent vice president on a major party ticket since 1956 came in 2008 when president George W. Bush had already served two terms and the vice president Richard "Dick" Cheney chose not to run.

Since 1974, the official residence of the vice president and his family has been Number One Observatory Circle, on the grounds of the United States Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C.

The Vice Presidential Service Badge is a U.S. military badge of the Department of Defense that is awarded to members of the U.S. military, personnel of the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and personnel of the commissioned corps of the United States Public Health Service who serve as full-time uniformed service aides to the Vice President.

Absolutely not. Anytime I ask why she would be a good VP that would be able to take over in an instant for McCain, all I hear is, 'well she's pretty, down-to-earth hockey mom that has executive experience. that's more than obama and biden have put together. oh and she lives next to russia and her husband's an eskimo' What the heck??? That has nothing to do with being capable to run for VP or take over as POTUS Running a town that at the time had only 7,000 people and a state that is not very populated is not enough executive experience, especially not after only a year and a half. She is under investigation for firing staffers over personal matters. Everything that I've heard her say is exactly what Bush has been doing the past eight years. They say that Obama won't change the country but he's told voters what he plans to do. Anytime I hear Palin or McCain talk, it's the same old policies that we've had that are obviously not working as our country is in turmoil. She was asked back in June of this year, only three months ago, if she would be picked as VP and she said, 'I'll answer that when someone tells me what exactly the VP does.' And people want her in the White House? hah! McCain only met her for fifteen minutes before he decided she was right for the job. That's a little too quick for an important decision such as this. All she is is a beauty queen turned PTA mom that likes to shoot for fun. Yeah, that's who I want running my country. Obama/Biden '08

The job of the VP is to run the tasks asked of you by the President at the time. This can be a wide range of things that only requires some knowledge and a passable work ethic. Yet the only job defined by the Constitution that VP must do is decide over a tied vote in the House of Senate. Whether or not Palin would be a decent President is a hell of a lot tougher a question then whether or not she can handle the VP job.

• Exile

Does Biden know it? He misrepresented the VP's job description and even cited the US Constitution incorrectly. He has been in the Senate how long? Given Palin's executive experience she does indid know the job description of the VP. CEO, 2 term Mayor, Chair person of various committees in Alaskan politics and Governor of Alaska.

Yes.

Are you looking for more?

Do you?

I thought the VP should understand the economy, our allies, our enemies, national security issues and the policies of the President.

I think it's clear she knows this well.

Take the economy for example.

She understands it was a democrat led ideology that caused this crisis. She understands it was the GOP that tried to do something about it, and it was Democrats that stopped them.

She understands people who can not or will not find out information on their own are being lied to by the press and the democrat party about these very clear and easy to find facts.

I think on the agreed upon most significant issue right now, she's pretty solid on it.

What in the name of God is rebel talking about is he McCain's son

If I were Sarah Palin answering that question has she has in the last few days I would say something like.

Well to get in their and reform and set some mavericks loose in the senate until they give me more power and that would give me energy to work on the energy issues and (wink) put Government back on the side of the people. Then wait for the applause, then realize I am doing an interview and not a rally folks............:)

The only official job is to be the President of the Senate, and to vote in case of a tie. Any vice-president can chair the proceedings of any Senate session, if so desired.

Does Biden know what the veep does? Apparently not.

• Steve

It sounds like you've been watching her interviews. She's gotten it wrong 3 times now. You'd think by now she'd have read up on the three paragraphs in the constitution to find out something about the job she's applying for.

ADD: Or she could just read Matt's answer.

She knows the job description. She just wanted to know what the VP does when he's NOT casting the tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

Personally, I wouldn't mind finding that out, myself.

What the hell is Rebel saying. It doesn't matter if only one parent was have black and you had more white in you this would says that if you have any black at all in your blood you are black.

As for Palin I don't think she knows what the Secretary of State does, little lone the VP.

Do you know?

The VP is like a Christmas tree only for decoration, how come you are making a big deal out of it.

Only if a president die then he or she will have a real job.

VP job is more a symbolic post, even my driver can do it. hahaha. your question makes me laugh.