Expunging or sealing a criminal record in Illinois, Can it be done?

I am 45 now and when I was 18, I got caught up in something stupid and have a felony theft conviction on my record from 27 years ago. Is there a possibility of getting this expunged or sealed. I am considering applying for other positions and am afraid this is going to haunt me. This incident occurred in Dupage county Illinois in 1982. thanks

10 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I will respectfully disagree with some of the above posters. Felony convictions are on your record for life and yes, felonies can be expunged.

    Certain rules apply for expungement. Only a first time felony can be expunged. If you have two or more numbers, you are stuck with them for life.

    Time elements apply. You must be free and clear of all legal encumbrances for at least 5 years ( with some states demanding 7 years).

    Each state is very specific about what can be expunged and what is not allowed. Best advice is to consult with an attorney within the jurisdiction of the arrest/conviction. He can tell you if you qualify. If you do, he can draw up your petition and submit it to the court in your behalf. A court appearance is not needed in this and you will be notified by mail when it is done. You will receive the actual motion back signed by the Judge and DA with a seal from the Clerk of Courts. This is the actual document that will be passed up through the system instructing all departments to remove all records of the arrest/conviction from public inquiry and will place your file in a restricted area that is accessible only to law enforcement and the courts.

    Best of luck to you and I hope this is useful

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aO0Gr

    Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

    You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Verifying criminal record database can really helps to find your required data online. It wont takes more than a few seconds to show any record you need. Moreover its an easy way to find out if someone has a criminal record.

    Reports key features includes :

    Arrest & convictions

    Felonies & misdemeanor

    Sex offenders

    Mug shots

    Criminal driving infractions

    Court and probation records

    And lot more.

    Visit Here : http://CriminalRecords.InfoSearchDetective.com

    100% Confidential & Super Fast Results!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Hello, I am a retired Police Officer here in the US and I can confirm to you that these types of records, for the most part, are not available to the general public. You won't be able to obtain them for free. That's the reality of it. Even if you came into the station for a particular police report to which you have a right to possess, you are often required to pay a small fee at the clerk's counter for the paperwork. There are however, to my knowledge, just a couple LEGITIMATE services that have full access to these types of records, and OFFICIAL approval/certification to provide them. The one which comes to mind is http://www.echeck.pcti-system.com - and if I recall correctly, They do provide these records at a relatively small cost.. especially considering the highly personal, confidential, or otherwise sensitive nature of the information within. Here you will find things such as:

    Reverse Phone Search

    Criminal Records

    Inmate Records

    Sex Offenders

    DUI/DWI Records

    Court Records

    Arrest Records

    Warrant Records

    Police Records

    Address History

    Death Index

    Marital Status

    Relatives and Associates

    Property Records

    Felonies and Convictions

    Alias and Date of Birth

    Business Search


    The only other way to obtain this type of information is to be working in certain areas of the public sector, such as Police work. Please do not use this any information you may discover for malicious purpose, as many States do provide criminal penalties under statutory law for certain acts regarding invasion of privacy. Hope this helps.

    Source(s): Retired NJ State Trooper
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    grew to become into he a minor on the time? If he wasn then it won't tutor as all juvenile archives are sealed while he hit 18. opportunities are high, maximum employers except it quite is an more desirable paying interest, won't do a history examine. Be extra frightened of Myspace and fb pages.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It may not be possible ... the only way to tell for sure is to consult a lawyer. If it's possible they can also help you file the paperwork.

    27 years is a long time. Most employers will take the age of the offense into account when they do a background check. If you've kept it legal since then the old offense may not be a hinderance to you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    I used that website http://www.echeck.pcti-system.com .. the one referenced by that detective guy. I found exactly what I was looking for. So much for Mr Right, or rather Mr Convicted Felon with 2 Liens against him totaling over 30,000$ and an ex-wife I never knew about!! Thank God I found out the truth before it was too late. We were almost engaged!!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Only a Juvenile record (up to 17) by judges order

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Felony Convictions can not be expunged.

    Source(s): Illinois LEO 24 yrs
    • Login to reply the answers
  • mike h
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    yes,it can be.Are you sure it's still on your record?Usually after 10 years with no activity it will be cleared automatically.

    Source(s): personal exp.
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.